1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verbatim Data Life Plus 8x write errors

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dantonow, Apr 25, 2007.

1. dantonow

dantonow Member

I've been backing up movies with TDK and Verbatim data life plus dvd-r's for some time now. Using Plextor PX 740A burner and Nero 7.5.7.0 and some time Imageburn. I recently upgraded Nero to 7.8.5.0 and began getting write errors with Verbatim DVD's only. TDK still burn fine. I uninstalled 7.8.5.0, used the nero clean tool to get rid of any other files and re-installed 7.5.7.0 and still can't get a complete burn with Verbatim. What could have happened? Could I have a bad bunch of Verbatim dvd's? I just opened a new stack of 50. The first 9 so far yeald a write error or burn successfully but then won't play.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried burning the Verbs w/ ImgBurn to see if you get the same problem? May be a bad bunch in that spindle.

Firmware up to date too? The latest is 1.02.
    Might also want to try taking the burn speed down a notch.

3. dantonow

dantonow Member

Yes, I've tried ImgBurn. Disc burned successfully, but verify froze at 91%. Firm ware updated a while ago.

One extra bit of info. Discs that burn fine but have problems playing have strange burn patterns on the disc. Normal burns are solid from center to out side edge. The last 9 Verbatims all have blank spaces between burnt parts of the disc. The burnt discs look like saturn rings.

I'm wondering if the Plextor is going bad and just can't muscle the Verbatim dies.

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The problem is probably that the 8X DL media from Verbatim are using the inverse stack method of production, and your Plextor drive does not have the firmware to account for the difference. Your previous experience with TDK and Verbatim was probably with 2.4X and 4X DL media that used the original 2P process that your drive understands. Almost all manufacturers of 8X DL media will use IS production, and that is a problem with older drives that I predicted 6 months ago on this site.

Your only option is to look for 2.4X/4X DL media or buy a new drive that can record DL at 8X. Waiting for a firmware update is pointless these days.

5. dantonow

dantonow Member

What do you mean when you say 8x DL? Dual Layer or Data Life? Just want to be clear. I purchased two 50 packs of Verbatim Data Life Plus 4.7 GB InkJet Printable discs. I have gone through the first pack of 50 with no problems at all. I just opened the second pack and that is where the problems began. They are the same discs as the first pack. Just wanted to clear that up.

6. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

You might just have a bad batch of Verbs.
    I've had the same thing you describe happen with Ritek. Used that brand for awhile then 1 spindle was hit or miss - mainly miss. Next ones I got were fine.
    If the other media starts to do the same thing then I would think it's the burner.

I'm not sure if the TDK's you have use different dye then the Verbs.
    They use several manufacturers and not sure also if the same dye is used with all.
    JoeRyan will be able to clarify that for us.

7. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@dantonow,

i think joe got mixed up some where, joe is talking about DL(dual layer) disk(DVD-9) but you are having problems with the SL(single layer) verbs.

have you tried lowering the burn speed?

edit
    ah binkie, you beat me to the punch:p

@dantonow,
    you can also post the burn log(the error ones) and see if we can find anything.
    find it here
    C:program files/nero/nero7/core
    look for nerohistory.txt
    dont forget to edit your serial # out

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  8. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

When I saw "DL," I assumed it was for double layer rather than Data Life. My mistake.

If changing the recording software makes no difference in results, we can rule that out for the time being. Since the Plextor records on the TDKs as before, we can temporarily assume that the drive is OK, too. That leaves the media themselves. The rings are changes in power settings during recording. The fact that some Verbatim discs have uniform color after recording and the ones that have playback problems have colored rings means that the drive has applied uniform laser power to the working ones and has altered its settings during the recording of the ringed ones. Assuming that the MID codes are identical, and assuming that the drive is OK, that means that there is likely a difference in the two spindles.

Verbatim uses azo-cyanine dye from MCC, its parent company. TDK manufactures its own azo-cyanine dye. The dyes must be uniformly applied across the substrate in a spin-coat process with precisely the right viscosity to spread evenly. Even if the coating is perfect, the substrate must also be ideal; and this is an often overlooked criterion when consumers criticize media--measuring groove geometry is not possible without very sophisticated equipment.

It's possible that the ringed batch is not the same as the performing batch, but it is not possible to tell if the quality is bad unless some testing is done. Recording that questionable spindle at lower speeds may improve results. (The last thing I would want to do is to accuse any manufacturer of making "crap" just because his discs did not work! There are just too many variables.)

9. dantonow

dantonow Member

Thanks everyone! Looks like a burner issue. Just installed a Pioneer DVR-1810 and burned a disk no problem. Maybe the Verbatims require more precise tracking and my plextor couldn't keep up after burning a hundred disks or so. Whatever the case, all is well now.

10. ironD

ironD Guest

Those are some of thre best disc's made, I love em...even though they are getting hard to find. MCC0003's
    D