1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VERBATIM dvd-r made in Taiwan

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by PennRon, Mar 23, 2005.

1. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi:

I have been purchasing Verbatim dvd-r's (94854) from Newegg for sometime. This media is made in Taiwan. Meritline has the same exact media albeit for $5 more but their product says made in Singapore.

I have read a number of posts that say to avoid media (in general, not verbatim) made in Taiwan or Hong Kong and buy media made in Japan or Singapore. While I have been very happy with the Newegg Taiwanese media does anyone know if the made in Singapore are better, more reliable over time etc? Thanks. Regards..

2. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i've read on here somewhere that "made in singapore" is good. but i have gone thru over half of a 50 disc spindle of verbatim dvd-r 8x "made in tawain" and have not had a single problem. it's hard to go wrong w/ verbatim no matter where they are made. i'm more concerned w/ the media id of the verbatim rather than where they are made.

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I was told that the Verbatim media labelled 'Made in Singapore' are the Verbatim DataLife Plus line which is supposedly the better media. But even Verbatim is trying to lose the Datalife Plus line because it is some marketing gimmick that may have backfired because people buying the regular Verbatim thought they were getting the inferior product. Both ID'ed as MCC003 and use the proprietary Metal Azo technology. Maybe it's because the old, slower speed Verbatims made in Taiwan were stamped other than MCC (Ritek? Ricoh?).

4. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi:

Yes I read on the forum that the older 4x Verbatim made in Taiwan might be of inferior quality. Their ID supposedly is not MCC. The dvd-r 8x's I get from Newegg have an ID of MCC 02RG20. I emailed every office of Verbatim throughout the world asking them if the Singapore Verbatims (94854) are better quality than the Taiwanese.

When (and if) they respond I'll post the answers they give. However, I'm sure they'll be politically correct! Regards...

5. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

Are all Data LifePlus MCC or can some me CMC?

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ive been using Verbatim for a while now, but only datalifeplus, i keep reading that these (touch wood) are some of the best, and certainly the best verbatim's you can get. ive had them from singapore, india and taiwan. No prob after hundreds of films (burnt 100% and watched thru also). i use 8x but burn at 4x, they code out to 'MCC 02RG20' and i buy 'em in tubs of 25 for about £8 uk gbp

Rich

7. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

the one's i have are verbatim dvd-r 1x-8x, made in tawain, id is MCC 02RG20. it's a 50 disc spindle and i've burned over half flawessly. i also have the verbatim datalife plus dvd+r, made in singapore. some are 1x-8x and some are 1x-4x. made w/ the "super" metal azo dye. id is MCC-003. does anyone know for sure if the regular verbatims use the metal azo dye like the datalife plus? and are the datalife plus really being phased out? if both of these are true, then i'm just going to stick w/ the less pricey (regular) verbatim.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I posted this before from cdfreaks, but Verbatim's brochure pretty much says so too:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/lite/t-108078.html
    Two Degrees

I'm sure many have noticed Verbatim's decreasing use of the Datalife(plus) brand name with its DVD±R media in the US retail market. I shot an email over to Verbatim asking about this, and here is their official response:

Verbatim is in the process of changing our retail packaging to emphasize the Verbatim brand more than sub-brands such as DataLifePlus. All our DVDR products are manufactured with Azo dye (Super Azo or Advanced Azo depending on the specific product) and there has been no change in the rigid specifications and quality control procedures applied to these products. Thank you for your support and interest in our products.

Customer Service
    Verbatim Corporation

9. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i bought a 25 spindle of the 16x verbatim dvd-r today at best buy and they say "advanced azo" on the packaging. they coded MCC 03RG20. these [bold]are not[/bold] the datalife plus line. in my opinion, at $11.99 each this is a great deal! probably as good as any u will find on the internet

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  10. creaky

fishbulb, i'm puzzled by this thread now, as [bold]
    [/bold].

All the 8x -R Verb's i've had, whether from Taiwan, India or Singapore, have media code MCC 02RG20, are [bold]Datalifeplus[/bold], [bold]and[/bold] are labelled [bold]'Advanced AZO'[/bold] on the packaging

11. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

my apologies creaky. i should have been more clear. i already had some verbatim 8x [bold]and[/bold] some datalife plus 8x. but yesterday i bought some of the verbatim 16x ([bold]not[/bold] datalife plus) from best buy that were on sale for $11.99/25pk spindle. these were made in tawain and coded MCC 03RG20. they say "advanced azo" on the packaging. the datalife plus i have say "super azo."

12. creaky

naw, you're okay, hope you didn't take offence to me highlighting my points in bold, i'm just worried that my trusty Verbatim's were going to be proved to be crappy. The website i buy them from (www.ebuyer.com in the uk) only say they're datalifeplus. you don't get to pick from what country or media code or nothing so am worried i'm gonna buy some inferior tubs one of these days

13. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

no worries, mate. good on ya! like i said in my earlier post, from my experience, it's pretty hard to go wrong w/ verbatim, no matter which line u choose or even where they are made. i'm just glad to see the non-datalife plus line is officially using the azo dye since they are less expensive. of course if they code anything w/ "MCC" also, that's even better.

14. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

Is MCC the same as MMC because some poeple say MMC003 and some say MCC003 for the same media.

15. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

not sure what MMC is. MCC on the other hand stands for Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation. they are top notch.

16. davebaldi

davebaldi Member

I recently purchased 2 5-pack's of Verbatim 8X DVD-R from Taiwan. I have tried to burn a home video (worked fine with Memorex DVD-R 4x) and have had no success - I have wasted 4 DVD's out of 4 - am returning the rest to Staples (Business Depot). Unfortunately I am going to go back to my tried, tested, and true brands - Sony, Maxell and Memorex.

Am I frustrated with Verbatim - 100% ABSOLUTELY.

17. creaky

your choice, but without error logs, we can't help you. But if you're happier with other media that's great.

18. davebaldi

davebaldi Member

Thank you for the reply. I'm still new to DVD technology (burning and authoring) - where do I look for error logs?

I burn with Nero software to a BENQ external drive with USB 2.0.

Dave

19. creaky

i honestly don't know, but only cus have never had a Nero prob, even as far back in the mists of version 5 and before....
    hang on gonna check how to do it

EDIT- doh!, found it - D:\Program Files\ahead\Nero\NeroHistory.txt

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  20. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

Hi Again:

Ok since I started this thread there have been a number of interesting replies. I said that I would get back with a response from Verbatim. Well here it is from the office in the US:

Dear Ron -

Sorry for the late reply. Somehow your correspondence was submitted to our
    Australian office.

To answer your question, there is no quality difference between our discs made in Singapore and the ones made in Taiwan. In fact, our Singapore
    facility is only making double layer media at this time, so any "made in Singapore" stock that you find must be fairly old.

We follow some of the Internet chat room stuff. Some true, some not. What you find are large assumptions based on very little data. We take DVD quality very serious at Verbatim - our name and reputation are very
    important to us, and key to our leadership position.

Thank you for being a loyal Verbatim customer.

Best regards,

Tim Clatterbuck
    Verbatim USA

REGARDS...pennron