1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verbatim Lightscribe media???

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by sadsac, Feb 26, 2005.

1. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Has anyone used any of this stuff? It looks pretty cool. Apparently, you burn your DVD, then flip the disk over and use their software to "burn" a label onto the non-dye side.

Sounds pretty cool!!!

But I have yet to find a price on it.

2. trublue01

trublue01 Member

i think you have to have the HP lightscribe dvd burner for that to work

3. tallandy

tallandy Guest

Theres some for sale on ebay, a dual layer multi format 16x for £69.99 640i so not to bad a price, the same guy has blank cd but no dvds and the cds are £3.75 for 5 so pricey .

4. thedad

thedad Guest

I purchased the HP drive at the local Walmart for $99.00. It came with one sample CD. I burned music to the one side and "lightscribed" a photo of my son on the opposite side. Music is fine, the lightscribed photo is very cool but I would like a more contrasted grey-scaling.

I'm satisfied and now I'll just wait for the dvd media to come out and the price to go down. I was told Frye's Electronics (www.outpost.com) has a "2" pack for $25.00. I don't believe the consumer demand will support that very long.

5. Nomad169

Nomad169 Member

I recently purchased the HP Drive also. A way to increase the quality of the resulting image is to prep the image before burning it to the disk. Use photoshop or other imaging software to first convert the image to B&W then apply a contrast curve or whatever contrast adjustment tools is available to your program. Increase the image contrast to a "High Contrast" image and scribe the image, you can also apply a sharpening flow to increase the detail. This will also allow you to use a lower scribe setting ( faster burn time,less laser output) and still get good results. I cant be exact on how much or little increase works, takes some experimation to get results that works best for you.

6. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

you realise that printable media using inkjet printers (colour) has been out for quite some time and costs the same as normal media???
    Or use a sharpie

7. Nomad169

Nomad169 Member

Yes, but what has that have to do with the discussion at hand...? Oh!! I get it its your sworn duty to point out the obvious..

8. thedad

thedad Guest

Thanks for the photo prep information. The one I used on the sample was color. I'll try that with the next media I buy.

9. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

not my sworn duty at all, but if you feel the need to line HP's pockets go right ahead, me ill use my inkjet printables which are cheaper, better quality, and look a sh*t load better

10. tombot

tombot Member

Another way to get more contrast is to burn the label twice.

11. Nomad169

Nomad169 Member

hmmm.. haven't tried that, I wonder through if you would run into alignment issues...? Have you tried it yet? how does the results look ?

12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

I don't speak for deadcat but I think the point he was trying to make is that you do'nt need to buy into a proprietary system (HP'S) lightscribe to achieve a proffesioanl or at least coommercial looking dvd! as he mention you could go the inkjet /epson route or use a sharpie pen - the Epson R-200/300 naturally will produce a more asthetically pleasing disc surface depending on your taste of course! and the sharpie gets the job done if you are more into efficiency over looks. Just face facts you have to buy special media for lightscribe to work and from what I've seen that media is more expensive .As of now HP is the only company making Lightscribe DVD burners so you kinda have to pay what they are asking for it! Also the concept isn't really new Yamaha had a burner out that did the same thing with regular CD'S but on the read side of the disc which of coarse cut into your recording time so basically they had the right idea but wrong side of the disc. I'm not dogging anyone or their choice of equipment or media if it worksd for you godless and keep on trucking my friend! But i'll stick with the sharpie for now and maybe get an Epson or something else later . I have learned many times over that earlier adopters pay the most for anything ! I like HP they make good products I will wait for others to bring out the same tech more selection better price and then the bugs if any will also be out of the system. and also by that timethe price of the media should come down also! but whatever you like and works for you go for it ! If you like it and are happy thats all that counts right - happy burning and peace friend!

13. Nomad169

Nomad169 Member

Everything that you have said is absolutely true. for you. I didn't fail to get deadcat's point, but its just that "HIS point". The question, as I saw it was the experience with the lightscribe media, I answered THAT question from my "point" of view. I wasn't looking for an arguement on the pros or cons, or a discussion on issues of freedom of choice or how I or ,anyone else for that matter chooses to spend or line whomevers corporate puckets with their money, but Ill be sure to check with deadcat to get his consent before making another purchase, That I don't share your opinion dosnt mean I dont get your point If you choose to use something other than what I do,...Ok. Yes Im aware of toshiba's system so its not new techcnology, If you like toshiba's system ....Ok. Use what you like. Im not here to defend any system or technology just an indivual's Freedom of choice...what a concept

14. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Nomad all truths are equal true to the beholder - like I said whatever works right ! freedom of choice , freedom of opinion .& freedom to buy and use what you want the american way! was'nt looking for an argument or a fight like yourself just voicing an opinion . Good luck in your dvd endeavors and peace my friend !

16. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

Actually the original thread was [bold]Verbatim Lightscribe media??? Has anyone used any of this stuff?[/bold]
    My understanding was that they were chasing the pro's and cons of buying a HP burner and HP media (never known to be the best for movie backups) and burning a little black and grey and yellow picture onto it. You and others mentioned owning the drive, and also how expensive the media was (£3.75 for 5 cds, 2dvd pack for $25.00). I was merely mentioning the other cons - expensive drive for poor features, expensive un reliable media, better products available that will print onto any printable media and do it in colour and do it cheaper, better drives available for a lot less with more features and the ability to print onto printable media (just they dont have a little HP badge).
    Thers two sides to every story, seems you cant handle the other one. Maybe you didnt realise that printable media was available and spent all you coin on a 3 colour system
    and your points are just that, your point
    and i answered it from mine
    without those how can you possibly hope to make an informed decision?? remember the original poster, sadsac, had never used it and wanted information
    no need for that, ill just tell you to get the cheaper,better,more reliable,more supported option
    finally you understand that each to their own, im not the one taking it personally, you are. How on earth can i possibly take away your freedom of choice from the other side of the world?? buy what you want, i couldnt care less, but when you realise that by coming onto a forumn you are goin to get opinions on products/services/methods and they won't always agree with yours you will have a lot more enjoyable time

17. Nomad169

Nomad169 Member

No.. Finally you come around to and simply repeat my point, I never presented my opion as anything else than just that, in fact I never advocated ANY product where you seem to do what you accuse me of

"( Antec Plus View Case w 5 fans, Asus A7N8X-E MB, Sempron 2400@2.0ghz , 1024mb PC3200, FX5200 graphics, 2x 120gb Sata Raid0, 2x 120gb, Aopen Com4824, HP dvd300n, Sony DRU-510AK usb case, Pioneer A08, Polyview 17'lcd
    PS2 v9 SatinSilver w. Magic5k, Xbox unmo )"

and still you critize as if YOUR opinion is the only one of concenquence. but I can see this is going nowhere and I dont see anything coming from it so ill quit beating a dead cat and let it go, oh. as far as the freedom of choice comment, its called sarcasim, look it up....

18. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

WHATEVER PEACE!

19. paulsun

paulsun Guest

Is there a site (like pricewatch.com) that will continually show DVD/CD media prices of lightscribe media?