1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verbatim Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Unjust2u, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

Hello , Just thought i would ask a quick question ? i bought a couple of packs of verbatim dvd+r 1x - 8x dvds , on the back it says made in taiwan verbatim corp. mitsubishi chemical corp. heres my question? Is this the verbatim media you all say is good ? or does it have to say data life plus ? because this is just plain verbatim . did i make a mistake here? thank you everyone for all your help :)

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I haven't used that exact disk, but I have used the Data life plus and they worked fine. If those disk's were indeed manufactured by mitsubishi chemical corp then you should be good to go :) They are one of the top manufacturer's out there. I would say give it a try. If they don't work take them back to where you bought them from. I hope you kept the recipt? LOL really they should be fine..

Good Luck :) Run the disk threw disk detector or nero info tool it should read MMC then you know it's Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  3. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

hello , well i used dvd identifier and it says manufacturer name mitsubishi chemical corp, manufacturer id : [MCC], media type id : [003] ,well anyway according to dvd identifier it is mitsubishi but i dont know how well or accurate dvd identifier is ? but i will try them thank you , i bought some cmc dvds (hypermedia) pure junk i mean whats the use :( thats why i thought i would ask this time ? thanks again :)

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

5. qetuo

qetuo Member

I think there are MCC discs manufactured by CMC as well. I think you ve got these ones, because they say made in taiwan. The best should be the "made in Singapore", as far as I know. But if you see they work fine, its OK.

6. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

i'm new....have a sony dru 710a....and bought verbatim 4.7 dvd+R....8x...haven't had a prob with them....50 spindle....about 12 so far...everyone perfect

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

getuo,
    You ar right in one respect CMC is junk! However MCC dosen't manufature any other disk. MCC is a manufacturer of disk's just like CMC is a manufacturer of disk's they are 2 seperat company's. Now MCC Makes disk's for alot of comapny's like Apple, Fuji, HP, Sony, TDK, and Verbatim just to name a few. CMC Manufactures disks for Phillips, Verbatim, TDK, Memorex, Imitation, & HP just to name a few. Now did you notice something there? Yeah thats right a lot of these company's use different manufacture's to make there disk's. A lot go with CMC because they are cheaper, but you get exactly what you pay for. If you ran it threw DVD Identifier and it said MCC then you have good disk's. Another thing MCC is located in Tokyo, Japan not Singapore. I would guess, but not sure that where Virbatim pacakage's these disk's is probably Taiwan and thats why it says made in Taiwan.
    Just thought I would give you all a little info :) Also if you check out the link Flip posted a couple of post's up that would help you out to understand the media that is out there.

Good Luck All :)

8. qetuo

qetuo Member

Hi bbmayo,

I know that MCC and CMC are 2 different companies, BUT Verbatim outsources part of its production assisted by big taiwanese companies. So in this case some of Verbatim's production is made by CMC and they are entitled to use the MCC media code on these discs...

Edit: The same is happening with the new TDK DVD-R 8X, the code is TTG02, but they are manufactured by CMC...unfortunately

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi Getuo,:)

You could possibly be correct, but why would CMC code there disk's with MCC? or vise versa. You think Verbatim is getting there disk's manufactured from CMC then receiving the disk and incoding them with MCC? Hmm I find this very interesting, where did you find this out from? What is your source? This sounds a little illegal to me, but I might be wrong.. I was just wondering where you found out information like this and why in Gods name would they tell anyone they are doing this if it is true?

Thanks and I hope it isn't true ;-(

10. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

hello again :) , hey guys thanks for all the info ! the main reason i asked this question is when i bought these dvd's , they were in 50 pack bundles at micro center for $19.50 ! well there were dvd+R's made in taiwan with mitsubishi corp. stamped on the back of the package and then there were the dvd-R's made in singapore with no mitsubishi stamped on it anywhere ? so i read a lot on the forum and a lot of people including scubapete saying mitsubishi and verbatim are really good ! so i thought it was a no brainer get the dvd+r (wich i thought dvd+r's are supposed to be little better in capacity?) that has mitsubishi on the back of the packaging ? and by the way they have the same verbatims on sale this week at best buy for $10 for a 25 pack :) if anyone is interested? well thanks for the input maybe i'll just pick up a couple of those 25 packs made in singapore this week :) and also flip has been a great help ( all hail Flip ! ) so if he says they are good quality ,by gosh im happy ! :) thanks flip ;)

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hey what about me :-( I said they were good quality too :)
    Just kidding I'm glad everthing worked out for you and if the disk works good for you thats all that matters..

Happy Thanksgiving all :)

12. qetuo

qetuo Member

Yes they collaborate. CMC bought the MCC factory in Ireland.

Also, bear in mind, that MCC does not own a factory in Taiwan... (So the made in Taiwan Verbatims are produced for sure by CMC)

13. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

hello again all :) sorry for leaving you out bbmayo
    you are a great help :) thank you ! hey one last question ? so are you guys saying that the verbatim dvd+r's from taiwan made by mitsubishi are not really CMC not MCC[Media]and inferior to the dvd-r's made in singapor and those are in fact MCC[Media]and are a better grade? and dvd identifier is not that accurate and they are saying its MCC [Media] ? so i bought the wrong disks?? now i am confused? and also not all verbatim are good just the ones from singapor ? my mind wonders at times :( hope you all can clear this up a little? thank you all very much for your input ! just trying to learn the right way to go ? thanks :)

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

injust2u,
    Use what you have and if you have no problems with them then don't worry about what everyone else says to much. Use what ever works best for you I have tried all different type of media and I never really had a problem with any of them, well there was one Memorex I won't touch those anymore. To answer your second question I'm not really sure about the CMC, MCC thing I don't believe MCC would allow CMC to code there disk's with there name, This would be like Faygo Puting Pepsi labels on there soda can's and selling them. I don't believe Pepsi would let that happen just like MCC wouldn't let that happen. That is why I asked getuo where he was getting his info from? This would actually be illegal to do that is why I was wondering where he is getting his info because this would be fraud to us the comsumers. It would be like me going out to buy some Levis then find out latter I got Wranglers with Levi tags on them. Do you see where I'm going here. i would relly love to know where this information is comming from because I would sew the Wranglers off them Bast###s :)
    Well anyway if the disc's you have work then stick with them
    Good Luck & Happy Thanksgiving all

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  15. qetuo

qetuo Member

@ Unjust2u: I didnt say you got wrong discs, I just said who manufactured these discs.

And bbmayo you dont seem to understand what I am saying...

As I told you YES CMC magnetics manufactures discs on behalf of MCC. What is it so strange to it...?

But I wont argue with you, you have the right not to believe it. I am just sharing this info for anyone interesting. And as I told you MCC does NOT own a factory in Taiwan. So if you disagree with me, you probably have to prove us that these discs are lying when they say "made in Taiwan" and actually are made in Japan or Singapore...

Bye

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Why would one manufaturer manufacture disk for another manufacturer of disks? Of course I don't believe you because it dosent make any sense, and I'm not trying to argue with you or fight either I'm just stating my opinion. I would also like to know where you found this info out? You still won't tell me that only that what you say is true. Well pigs fly too..
    I'm not trying to fight or get you mad I just want others to think about what you are saying. If it's true it shouldnt be that hard to tell where you got this info because I have searched the internet and can not find anything about this anywhere.

Everyone Have A Happy Thanksgiving

17. qetuo

qetuo Member

Why would one manufaturer manufacture disk for another manufacturer of disks?

Because of production capacity limitations, and because one company might focus on R&D mostly... Have you heard anything about OEMing?

You ask about my sources...You have to first answer to yourself why these discs are Made in Taiwan, whereas MCC does not own a factory in Taiwan...Dont avoid this ;)

bye

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I would imagine it is because Verbatim is in Taiwan, and they are the ones that package and market the disk. It's just like my buddies Pontiac Vibe. The engine is made in Japan by Toyota, but the car is listed as made in USA..
    Anyway Why should I have to answer that question I am not the one that stated that anywhere. You on the other hand are writing all of these supposed facts with nothing to support them other than your word..
    Again I researched this all over the internet and have yet to find one thing or statement that supports your theory.. If you are right I would just like to know for sure because if you are I won't buy any more Verbatim disk's.
    Bye and Have a Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  19. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

@unjust2u ... next time don't reply to a different thread about this thread.

My post in this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/128197
    I don't know if I quite understand what your asking. If the media code comes up MCC, then they are MCC ... If they come up with CMC, then they are CMC.

Now, there was a time when some of my Verbatims came up with the CMC media code. I also understand Verbatim got heat for that. Lately all my Verbatims have shown up as MCC. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  20. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

sorry , just wanted your input on the subject? it won't happen again :( you all have been a great help thank you all :)i've learned a lot the last few days