1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verbatim Problems

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by dannmigde, Nov 20, 2004.

1. dannmigde

dannmigde Member

I have a version 9 PS@ that uses swap magic. I use DVDecrypter to backup my games. I have always used Verbatim disks successfully before. I just bought a 100 pack of Verbatim 4.7 Gig 120 Minute up to 8x DVD-R disks and tried to burn backups to them and I can't get them to word, the initial screens boot but that is it. My verbatims in the past have worked, any idea what is going on

2. phil31169

phil31169 Regular member

you know what changed, you said it yourself. to bad you got 100 of em... verbatims work well for me, but i use only "pioneer certified quality disks" some media just plain sucks, for instance... memorex

3. ModIt

ModIt Member

Ok here is it the thing is that the new verbatim blanks which are up to 8X have changed a bit. The is some new standards that the DVD-R's have to meet now and thats basically what the verbatim had to do, so far only the sony's i see make the ver. 2.0 in the inner circle of the disc to let u know its the version 2.0 Thats basically with all the DVD-R 8X madia they are all ver. 2.0 discs. And yes some of the consloe don't like those ver 2.0 discs i have a lot of problems with the sony in my console but for me the verbatim works so does the tdk. Ohh and another thing i don't know if anyone have ever noticed this yet there seems to be 2 types of Swap Magic DVD 2.0 and the difference is quality. I have one of the very first ones that came out and the disc is different from the disc the new one comes on. Soo far i've worked with both and found out what the difference is and here it is. The older swap magic is compatible with more discs whilse the new swap magic don't work all type of discs. For eg. I had a V5 ps2 with first generation swap magic and second generation swap magic and game "star wars battlefront" on a sony dvd-r up to 4X speed. I botted it up with the first gen. swap magic and the game boot up and worked fine but when i tried it with the second gen. swap magic did not work for nothing lens keep making a lot of noise like in when its not reading properly bott to the fist screen and take like 15 to move to each initial screen movie scene pauses up and audio loss. Before i found out all the while i was thinking it was the lens of the V5 but now i found out what i was. Soo i found out that tdk works great and for me the verbatim does work too the 8X too. Soo i hope this helps out someone later.

4. phil31169

phil31169 Regular member

interesting about the swap stuff, never messed with it. seems odd that one would be better the the other. as far as the 2.0 8x dvd's no idea on that either. this is my benchmark

Pioneer certified

The ProDisc DVD-R has recently been certified from the Class A Lab. This proclaims that the quality of the DVD-R has been proven by the word-class organization.

Recognition from the Pioneer Class A Lab requires passing more than 100 strict inspections on the product as well as the manufacturing processes. So far, only a few DVD-R manufacturers who are capable of passing the various Pioneer examinations are qualified for this recognition.

Features

Secure Unalterable Data
    Superior Recording Layer Technology
    Random Access Data Retrieval
    100 Year Archival Life (you know what, thats actually good to know. i remember hearing about a 5 year half life on the protective layers awhile back...anyone?)
    Applications
    Multimedia Presentations (Audio, Video & Data) hot spam!
    Testing & Development
    Large File Storage (no way....)
    Data Transfer (wow...really?)
    Long Term Archival Storage (too good to be true)
    Compatibility
    Write Compatible with DVD-R General Recorders
    Read Compatible with Current Generation DVD Playback Devices. Including: DVD-R (General and Authoring) Recorders, DVD-RAM Drives, DVD-ROM and DVD-Video Players. (and xbox and ps2's :)

i swear i am not a big ol buisnessman here trying to make a profit. just a happy customer. these discs have NEVER failed me with nero6 alcohol and my sony dru-500a
    burned at 4x everytime, oh sure i have made coasters you bet. but it was always my fault. 2 exceptions to that are tron killer app xbox and inuyasha ps2. sudden software crashes...many attempts...oh well, still got the best rack on the block :)

can be had here CHEAP 0.35 per disc american you say?
    http://www.supermediastore.com/

5. CoorsLite

CoorsLite Guest

Verbatim is the best and i am using alcohol. always burn a game at 1%

6. john212

john212 Guest

i have just burned metal gear solid 3 with Verbatim and it works great.i have a modded ps2.

7. CoorsLite

CoorsLite Guest

what's up john

8. dannmigde

dannmigde Member

What is strange is that I have a newer version of the PS2 and it doesen't work on mine or my friends newer one. But my nephew has an older PS2 modded and it works fine. Is there something different in the newer PS2's that might cause this

9. john212

john212 Guest

wats up dude.i have a modded ps2 version 50010 and it works fine for me.i burned mgs3 in 4x speed with verbatim and works great.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2004