1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verbatim vs TY

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by mb1, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mb1

mb1 Member

I'm looking to get some new dvd-r hub printable media. I've always used verbatims but I've read a lot on here about TY. At Supermediastore the Verbs are about 2/3 the price of the TY. In your opinion is there that much of a difference between the two or are the Verbs just as reliable?

Thanks,

Matt

2. Playr

Playr Regular member

The verbs are just as reliable plus they're available at just about any local office supply/electronics store.

3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Your final recording quality will depend on how well your drive is tuned for the medium. Both Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are extremely well supported as far as firmware goes, with the possible exception of TY DVD+R 16X, which was late to market. TY will likely run into problems with DL media when/if they introduce them, but that will be a compatibility issue, not a quality issue. It will be interesting to see if users begin to tear them apart the way they have torn apart other, incompatible discs, or simply dismiss them as "counterfeit." This is a huge marketing issue for Taiyo Yuden. I'm sure they want to get into the better margin DL discs, but they will have to wait until their inverse stack 8X versions are ready--and even then they face limited support simply because they are late.