1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verbatims

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jah711, Mar 2, 2005.

1. jah711

jah711 Regular member

I burned a movie on two DVD+R discs. One is SONY the other is VERBATIM. The verbatim doesn't play in the PS2, the Sony does. How can I get the Verbatim to play in the PS2? Is there something I could do?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You could update your firmware, you can set the booktype to DVD Rom(if your burner supports bitsetting), you can also just stick with what works. What is the max speed on your burner and what speed do you burn at? You may need to slow it down. What other brands and formats have you used? Did those work on your PS2?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  3. jah711

jah711 Regular member

The max speed on the burner is 48x, I burned the movie at 4x. Sony works great in the PS2. I only have the problem with Vertabim. Vertabims are my main brand that I like to use. So I would like to get those working in the PS2.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Is your firmware up to date? Try to burn the verbatims at 2.4x and see if that works(might not work, but worth a try). Does your burner support bitsetting?

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Why decrease the lifespan of the optical head and components of a PS2 by playing movies, when a relatively cheap DVD player can be had that will play almost anything. Players can be had at WalMart for about $40.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello jah711, which + verbatim's do you have and what is the manufacturing code?

My step son has a ps2 and the only backups of mine he could not play was on verbatim media life +4x's. They had the mfg codes of ricohjpn-01 and mcc-002. It wouldn't recognize them.It gave him some sort of "no disc inserted" error. He had no trouble with my verbatim +8x media life plus-coded mcc-003. He can even play my re-write memorex and tdk's with no trouble.Those mcc-003 are far better than the other 2 I started out with.

Which sony's did you get?+ 4x/1x-4x/or 1x-8x? I burn a lot of sony's and i will not burn those 4x again-mostly junk. Those + 1x-8x are far superior,some of the +1x-8x's are ty's.

Sounds like you have 3 options, either stick with those sony's/ try another manufacturer of verbatim/ or get another stand alone player that will play them.

Check for those mfg codes on this very handy free trial version: http://www.dvdinfopro.com

Let us know how those verbs and sony code out,that should explain the issue.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

and thats going to help those Verbatims play in the PS2 how? Now if you could update the firmware of the PS2 drive that would be the answer, but seeing how you are able to write to them with your burner then updating your firmware isn't going to solve your problem. There are only 2 ways to solve your proble, and they have already been addressed, but I will repeat them.
    1. Buy a elchepo DVD player from Wally World
    2. Use the brand of media that works in the PS2

I for one am with Brobear (again we agree) on this one. Why put the PS2 laser threw all that stress (they arent the best anyway) why not spen 40$ on a cheap DVD player that will play everything?

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Very concise... Once again I have to agree with you BBmayo. ;)

Saugmon
    I differ with your opinion of the RICOHJPNR01 media. I've used scores of this media sold under different brand names and found it to be one of the best media I've used. The video quality has been excellent and I've had no problems playing my backups on different players. Also, I find it interesting that you find fault with the 4X Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R. Those are the discs with the Metal Azo dye that many of the forum members have been bragging on for the longest. I don't know if it was just a particular compatibility problem with your equipment, but I find it difficult to believe some of the best media on the market is "mostly junk".

9. jah711

jah711 Regular member

Wow...I got all this for just one little question...lol.
    Thank you all for your help. I'll take the advice about not using the PS2 for movies. I'll just get the kids a DVD player instead. Didn't know that wears out the PS2 by playing movies. You would think with all the hype they talked about with this machine, that it would at least be equipped enough to handle all it is said to. But thanks again.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Oh, the PS2 works for the movies as you've seen. They usually handle the original DVD movies flawlessly. Backup movies were never part of the sales pitch. The part about handling different media is surprising. I'd never noticed they were picky about the different manufacturers. I did know the earlier PS2s were partial to the -R format.

Just think about it, any piece of equipment has a certain lifespan. Each movie is taking away from the time that the PS2 would be able to be used for gaming. Which is more important, time being used as an expensive game console or as a high priced movie player when you could be using a cheap DVD player? I think you made a wise choice on getting a player. Not only is it cheaper, if you shop wisely, it will do a better job of playing the DVDs. Some of them even play music CDs now.

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey jay711, wal-mart is a great place to pick up a player. Some players will have trouble reading dvdr's. If that new player doesn't play your backups,simply return it for another one.

Brobrear, I wasn't knocking on verbatim. My first batch I bought were 3 spindles of 30 packs-data life/or media life-I can't remember. All 3 spindles identical,except one spindle had a harder plastic cover on that spindle. 2 spindles were ricohjpn-01 and the one just a hair off was mcc-002-2 different mfg codes between the 3 spindles.I sold 1 spindle to a buddy. There was something about some of those discs that my stepson's ps2 would error out,so i quit sending him those backups. I only had 1 or 2 coasters out of them,no playback problems, and i still re-rip off of them.Just something different on that 1 pack of ricohjpn-01. That mfg is one of my favorites-maxell +4x and I burn a ton of them at over 99%.

The only discs i called junk were the sony -1-4x with the mfg code of 04D1. This code is on the ones made in taiwan and in austria. The sony +1x-8x are very good/some are ty's. The sony -1x-8x are coded sony08D1 and are also made in japan.I just started using them. I am always trying out new media, I have 4 burners,and only 2 of them are + format only.

I've got 90 verbatim data life plus +8x's left-mcc-003.Those are for my very important backups.I have not tried the data life plus +4x's.

12. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

(Will move this to correct 'DVD-R Media' forum after I've replied)

A good friend of mine has been buying Verbatim TYG01 x4 DVD-R [so Taiyo Yuden dye] since I told him of how good they were ... he used ... he loved 'em
    I spoke to him recently & he told me that the same kind of Verbatim [TYG02 x8 tho] ... and they fail to play in his PS2 (okay in the Xbox and stand alone dvd player but ps2 just dont like x8 Verbatim it would seem

Strange , but true :S

13. brobear

brobear Guest

PS2 is a system with it's own quirks it seems. It's picky about the media it uses. That's in the firmware of the PS2 and nothing I know of that will help it. It's not the media, it's the player. So, if one is going to do backups on a PS2, use the media that works and don't be shopping around for media unless you have it on good authority that a different media will work. I've been told that the older PS2s would only use -R media for backups. So, the earlier players were even pickier. You'd be amazed at the number of number changes that have happened on PS2. Just try browsing for a mod chip and you'll see what I mean.