1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

verbs dvd-r vs. dvd+r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by libg, Feb 27, 2007.

1. libg

libg Member

its there any difference between this two, because i been using only dvd-r but i just bought some dvd+r want to try this ones, any suggestions about them.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What's the brand name and model # of your burner?

What's the current firmware version?

I'm not sure of what programs you are using,so here's dvdidentifier-it's free and will tell us that info:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Some drives perform better with a certain format.NEC,Pioneer prefer dash. Some drives can booktype the plus format to dvd-rom-so you'll have a higher stand alone compatability rate.Those booktyping drives are Benq,Plextor,Lite-on,LG,and a few others.

Most of the burners from the last couple years will burn either format. It's those stand alone players that tell us which format they prefer. When you insert a backup dvd in those player/s and you get any of the following error codes,it usually means it doesn't like that certain format,then switch to the opposite format:

No disc
    Dirty disc
    Wrong region
    Wrong format
    Illegal disc

Verbatim is awesome media. I suggest when using the 16x verbs,to burn them at least 8x. These were designed to be burned faster,not slower. Slow burning may lead to trouble-crc errors.

I got no trouble with either format,but my booktyped backups are far superior to my dash backups. After booktyping,they'll play in over 95% of all dvd drives. My dash backups,around 75%. My plus backups,not booktyped- about a 50% rate.

libg:Test burn a couple of those plus format verbatims. Make sure all the stand alone players,pc drives,and game consoles that you plan on playing those backups on,can recognize them.Test them out before burning a ton of them,and then finding out a couple players won't recognize them.You have to use the correct format that suits your needs.

Let us know about that burner info and maybe you have booktyping capability with your burner.

3. libg

libg Member

i have a sony dvd rw dru-820a usb i just bought it, it also does dl layer, its this a good burner