1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verification Speed - Why so Variable?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by larrymcg, Oct 29, 2007.

1. larrymcg

larrymcg Member

When burning CD-R disks I always use the verification option (Nero 6.6.1.4). I'm curious why the verification speed varies a lot over time ranging from 8x to 30x. The speed does not correlate with the position on the disk - it just varies all over the place over time.
    There is a read buffer that usually has data in it but sometimes it seems to go empty (according to the display while verifying). The verification speed usually drops way down when the buffer goes empty (I guess I can understand that). But it also varies a lot when the buffer doesn't go empty. (I would think that the buffer should not go empty but that is a subject for another time.)
    The top read speed for the drive and the CDs is a lot higher than 30x so I would expect the verify speed to be fairly high and consistent.
    I figure the hard disk speeds are way higher than the CD speeds so the hard disks should not be a bottleneck.

Thoughts? Clarifications?

--Larry

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

3. larrymcg

larrymcg Member

tripplite, Thanks for the links -- interesting reading. Mostly folks were having issues with verification errors which I don't get any more since I figured out what write speeds to use with the media I use.

Before, when I was getting verification errors I would notice that the verification speed dropped way down (to 1x) and would stay there for a long time and then it might jump up for awhile and drop down again. And finally it would drop way down and after a long time I'd get a verification error. I figured that read errors were occurring and lot of retries were being done and sometimes success would finally happen. All the retries take a lot of time. When things finally got really bad a verification error would be reported. (I'm not sure -- maybe the verification error was reported only after the entire disk had been read.)

The issue I was bring up in my original post was verification rate changes but without a verification error being reported. I suppose some recoverable errors could reduce the rate for awhile because of the retries.

Maybe I can find a Nero log after a successful verification and see if recoverable errors and retries were happening.

--Larry

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

you've provoked my interest, I don't see any good reson for speeds to be
    fluctuating from 8x to 30x, if you find the answer in the readings i gave you or else wear please mention it!

-tripplite