1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Version 4 Problem

Discussion in 'PS2' started by hbkhhh69, Jan 17, 2005.

1. hbkhhh69

hbkhhh69 Member

I used swap magic dvd boot disk 2.0 with the slide card and my ps2 got messed up because of that I think. I was using Ritek G04s to back up my games and they worked fine. I sent my system back to sony and they said they will replace the laser. I got rid of my old 3.2 cd and dvd 2.0 and slide card kit. Should I get v3.3 swap magic boot discs with the slide card again or do you think its better to get a modchip, cause I don't want my system to get messed up again.

2. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Swap disks don't mess up systems. That old v4 laser is cheap - that's why it got messed up. Get the new Swap disks plus a flip-top - best way to go. Chipping it will just void your warranty and Sony may not be so nice to you again. If I was in your shoes, I would trade that PS2 for a newer, more reliable version like a 7 or 9.

3. hbkhhh69

hbkhhh69 Member

How do I trade it in? I can't trade it directly for a free one can I? It will be more money? And how do I install the fliptop? Just open the ps2 case thats it? Well opening up the case means you have to open the system and that means its voiding the warrenty. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  4. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Well of course, you will have to pay a few bucks extra - perhaps around $30. Of course, if you can find a PS2. . . they are in very short supply right now.

Actually, the top cover is held by about 35% of the warr. sticker. You can carefully remove that little portion with a blade and not have any "void" words appear, and leaving the majority of the sticker untouched. Put on the flip cover and no warranty voided. I've done this a few times and has never failed.

5. hbkhhh69

hbkhhh69 Member

I tried to cut it with a blade before knowing that this would not rip the sticker off, but it was not cutting so I had to rip the whole sticker off. Sony bought that and they are still repairing my ps2, they will add another sticker to the ps2's cover they said, and my warrently will be intact. So are you saying flip top is better than a modchip?

6. Geno64

Geno64 Member

In my opinion and experiences, I think the flip top is better than a modchip. You do not mess with anything with the Swap discs, just put on a new "hat". Chipping any system is like "surgery," you mess with the insides, hopefully for the better, but reversal is complicated.

Especially with the 3.3 set, there are only like 3 or 4 games that are not playable, very high success rate of compatability.

Of course, that is just my opinion - you are more than able to make your own decision.

7. hbkhhh69

hbkhhh69 Member

Hmm I'll decide then between the fliptop or slide card. Can you put the ps2's original cover back on? What games don't work with the 3.3 boot disks? I just got mercenaries with swap magic fix if you mean thats one of them and NFL street vol. 2

8. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Yes, you can put the original cover back on.
    List of games for 3.3 set
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/140868

Actually with both Mercenaries and NFL Street 2, remaking the game (and taking out the dummy files) fixes both of them to where you will not need any cogswap or extra boot disk. . . so no, they are not included as not working.