1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very bad picture.

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Pontius, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

I am useing the following programs

Smart ripper
    DVDx
    TMPEG
    Nero vision express 2.0

Everything is fine but when i use nero vision express to burn the VCD then put it into my DVD player the picture is very bad.Its unwatchable.It keeps stoping and skipping and green squares appear and screw up the picture.I tryed sevral of my DVDs the same thing happens?Please Help.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

This is Because Vision Express Re-Encodes Every File you load into it which Ruins the Quality of the Picture..Vision Express will Allways re-encode every File you load into it no matter if the File is allready 100% VCD/SVCD or DVD Compliant ,Vision Express is total Crap for this Reason...Use the Regular Nero to Burn the File you encoded with Tmpgenc to VCD and don"t let it re-encode the Mpeg file, It shouldn"t unless it is Not VCD Compliant...
    Why are you useing DVDx?? Are you useing it to Create a AVI file and then encodeing the AVI file to mpeg with Tmpgenc?? If so this is a Needless Step that takes up a Lot of Time and Greatly reduces the Quality of the Final VCD...
    You can use a Program Called DVD2AVI to Frameserve the Vob files to Tmpgenc and that way you will not have to create a AVI file First...
    If you want I can Give you step By step Instructions on how to use DVD2AVI to Frameserve the Vob files that you ripped from the DVD with Smartripper to Tmpgenc, .....Cheers

3. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

I dont have the regular nero.Is there a way to stop vision express doing this.I am useing DVDx to get an MPEG.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

No, there is no way to stop Vision express from doing this..You can go to the nero web site and download the 30 day demo and use it to Burn the Mpeg file to CD-R as a VCD....Cheers

5. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

could you please give me instructions doing that

6. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

i got nero 6 but the same thing is happening.why is this?

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

What is Nero doing??? Is it saying that the File is Not VCD/SVCD Compliant and then asking you to re-encode the File?? If so then it is because the Mpeg file you created was not VCD or SVCD Compliant..You can try Telling it to Not re-encode the mpeg file and Burn it to Disk anyways without re-encodeing and see if the File Plays on your DVD Player But to get nero to not come up with the message and re-encode the file then you have to make sure you encode the file Properly in the first Place as Nero will not encode file that are 100% VCD/SVCD compliant....

8. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

yes nero is saying this.so how do i make the file 100% compliant?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Reason why it isn"t Compliant is because of the Way it was encoded, It could be something as simple as you encoded the File as a Plain mpeg1 file instead of a Mpeg1 VCD file, meaning that the file is VCD Compliant accept that it doesn"t have a VCD Header, Or it could be because you encoded the File useing the Wrong resolution or Frame rate or audio Sample rate, But without knowing were you went wrong I can"t tell you how to fix it accept that you can encode the AVI file to VCD again and make sure that you do it right...If you could Find out the Resolution and Frame rate and Audio sample rate for me and then I can tell you what is wrong with the Mpeg file...You can get this Information buy downloading this Program:
    Virtual-Dub-Mpeg2
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip
    And load your Mpeg file into it and then go to "File" to "File Information" and then it will list all the Information on your File that I asked for....Cheers

10. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

I think i know what the problum is.When the message saying it isnt compliant it says that the problum is

that the file was encoded useing stream encoding which is invalid for video CD.

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

OK>>>If that is the message you are getting then it should be simple to fix because that means that there is just the VCD header missing from the Video Stream...To fix this you can run Tmpgenc and go to "File" to "Mpeg tools" to "Merge & cut" and Load in your Mpeg1 file and then choose "Video-CD Non-Standard" from the Drop down menu, now just choose an output directory for the new file and click "Run" and in about 5 minutes you will have a new file but with a VCD Header on the File that Nero should accept without complaining....Cheers

12. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

ok nero accepts the file without the complaint but it is still unwatchable.Im just about to throw my computer out the window.

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

What Makes it unwatchable??? Does your DVD player just Not play it or does it Play But The Image Jumps all over the Place??
    There are Some Many problems that come allong with VCD"s and SVCD that I got sick of them Pretty quick cuz I couldn"t deal with the Problems ,It"s a Much better Idea to Get a DVD burner and then you don"t have to worry about as Many problems and you get Much better Quality ,I have seen DVD burners as Low as $70 which is as cheap as some CD Burners and Blank DVD"s are cheap these days, You can get them for about .75c each if you Buy in Bulk....

14. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

The picture skips and green squares keep comeing up and messing up the picture.And i tryed to buy a DVD burner but i live in ireland and it was going to cost 480 euro for an external sony DVD burner.Everything is expensive in ireland.

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Problem you are havieing is Very Common and I it could be caused from Bad Media Or from Burning at too high of a Speed, You should burn your VCD"s at the lowest Speed possible Like at 4X or 8X speed because VCD and SVCD have no error correction data...You should Look On Ebay to Buy a DVD Burner cuz you can easilly find someone to ship it to you From the USA or from the UK..I live in Canada were things are still Quite expensive also But I get stuff shipped from the USA or from the UK and even China to canada and even with the shipping Cost you still can save 50% on what you would Pay at the store...You could get a Dual Format 4X DVD Burner for under $100 US includeing Shipping to Ireland if you Looked....well Good Luck