1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very confused

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by RedRhino, May 1, 2005.

1. RedRhino

RedRhino Member

Hey every1, I got a DVDRW burner not too long ago, and just got SmartRipper 2.41 . I looked everywhere for a tutorial on using it. It seems simple, but there is no button that says 'Rip". :p, lol, can anyone assist me, on how to rip dvds using SmartRipper? Thanks, a lot.

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

3. RedRhino

RedRhino Member

thanks for your attempt to help me. however, ive already been there. Doesnt give me too much essential info I can use other than the file size of the program. :p

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

if all you're trying to do is rip the movie, try DVD Decrypter. It's easy to use, powerful and free.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If you wish to backup a DVD,

Try the, "Shrink / Decrypter" OR "Shrink / Nero" Guides (and downloads) in my sig.

Cost = $00.00

Cheers,

Pete

7. RedRhino

RedRhino Member

Well-first i'd like to say thanks to afterdawn.com, for not having me have to login every time to post. I consider it a luxury. Anyways, I'm looking to compress my DVDs. I have DVD Shrink, but I guess I dont know how to compress the files. ALSO, I have a japanese dvd with optional english audio, but when I rip the DVD, it rips in its native language, Japanese. Was wondering, if there is anyway I can re-rip the DVD so it has english audio? Thanks for all your guys' help!

PS: I'm looking to spend $0. Programs I currently have, Dvd Shrink, SmartRipper 2.41, and DVD Decryptor. <--for reference, to helping solve my problem.

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

there are many guides to do what you're trying to do right here. Scubapete's got a good one, the link's in his sig and in my sig.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thanks squizzle,

I don't know why I spent the time to answer him -

It's more than obivious he couldn't be bothered to read it -

Makes one feel like my time was really wasted here, Huh ?

Go Figure . . . .

10. trock0002

trock0002 Member

The guides provided right here on the website say it all. If you need extra, then there are plenty in the "sigs" up above.

11. RedRhino

RedRhino Member

Actually, I didnt pay attention to the sigs until you told me. And I checked out ur site ScubaPete, and am printing out some guides. Thanks a lot, your time is greatly appreciated. :)

12. trock0002

trock0002 Member

I am positive you will find what you are looking for there.

13. squizzle

squizzle Active member

a little searching makes the world a better place ;)

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Best of luck . .

Iffin Ya need more help after this, stop by and we'll lend a hand . .

Peace,

Pete

15. RedRhino

RedRhino Member

thanks scubapete. Read dvd decrypter/shrink guide. Was able to burn a japanese disc with english audio after i decrypted the original disc. But what I still don't know is.

1)How to rip english audio only from a Japanese DVD(or remove the language later on, so it'll play as default when i play with PowerDVD)
    2)How to compress DVD files right there on the spot, without burning the DVD movie files to a disc.
    3)Easy Question-what program I should use to convert my VOB files to AVI or DIVX files....Tricky part:For free.

Thanks for all your guys' help.

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Answers:
    1)

[​IMG]

2) If you make Shrink give you VOB files you can watch them on WMP or PowerDVD

[​IMG]

3) Divx2DVD.

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  17. RedRhino

RedRhino Member

well ya, i understand how to <burn> a japanese disc with english audio. But I dont know how to <rip> a japanese disc with english audio. Meaning, being able to rip the movie without using up a disc. And for #2, the backup target, backs up the whole movie and settings chosen before I burn the disc? Even so-how can I compress a movie file, WITHOUT burning a disc? Thanks you guys are gr8

18. squizzle

squizzle Active member

that is backing up a movie without burning it. If you do what I posted you will have a compressed movie on your hard drive, without burning it, and you can remove any unwanted audio and subtitles.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi RedRhino,

I believe you wanted to have the English as the default language on the Japanese film. I don't believe you can do that. You can always select it with your Player's remote. It shouldn't be a major problem, one single button push. As for backing it to your HD, may I suggest that you first go to Edit - Preferences - DVD Target size and select DVD-9.

That way you will have the original movie on your HD and can edit it anyway you want from there.

Cheers,

Pete

20. RedRhino

RedRhino Member

Well thanks. I rip DVDs to my computer, and then delete every single file except the movie file. From there, I make playlists in PowerDVD of (1GB files). I want to ask this again-because I feel I am not making myself clear. If I already have a decrypted movie file that is already on my computer, and lets pretend I dont have any DVD drives. How do I compress an already decrypted movie file on my computer? 4 Free? Thanks~~~