1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very new and need help with vhs (3hrs) to dvd

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by gottafly2, Jan 26, 2005.

1. gottafly2

gottafly2 Member

Hi,

I've read a lot of posts but still need help for my situation with my equipment. I'm very new to this and wish to take my old vhs tapes and convert to DVDs.
    My equipment is as follows:
    Burner: NEC DVD+RW ND2100AD
    Capture device: Avermedia DVD EZMakerPro USB 2.0 (has built-in MPEG2 hardware encoder)
    Software: Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 SE (downloaded patch upgraded to 2.12.2166.000SE)
    Software: Ulead Video Studio 7 SE DVD

I'm trying to get the best quality picture but would like to fit 3-4 hours of video on one 4.7GB DVD. What is the best way to accomplish this?

Also, if I have 2 vhs tapes, one 2 hours long and one 1 hour long how do I get them on one DVD? What I've tried so far is changing the MPEG setting in Movie Factory to accommodate enough minutes, went direct to disc, changed the tape out of the vcr without stopping or pausing capture (as there is no way). I received an error.

Good news is I did copy one vhs tape which was one hour long using direct disc, so I know at least everything is functioning.

I really appreciate any help I can get!!!

Thanks!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you go over one hour of VHS tape, on one DVD, your quality is going to go down. If you are looking to put 3 hours on one DVD, you will not like the result.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can get 3 Hours on a DVD No Problem Just don"t use the 720+480/576-Pal Full D1 Format....Capture your Video at 352+480/576-Pal with a Bitrate of about 2500kbs and then you should be able to easilly fit 3 hours on a DVD with watchable quality.....

4. gottafly2

gottafly2 Member

Thanks for the responses! I'm not too familiar with capturing at different settings, but I'll see about giving it a try or else just stick to 1 hour video per dvd.

One more question, would having a dual layer dvd burner allow 2 hours of vhs on the one dvd?

Thanks

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

There should be no problem getting 2+ hours on a regular 4.7gb DVD even at the regular Full D1 resolution....

What determines the Size of the Captured file is the Bitrate you use to Capture and the Length of the Movie so if you use the Correct Bitrate based on the Length of the Movie then the Captured file will Fit on a DVD...

What you need is a "Bitrate Calculator" which will Tell you what Bitrate to use based on the Length of the Movie so it Fits on a DVD....

A 2 Hour Movie will fit on a Single DVD if you use a Capture Bitrate of 4700kbs and an audio Capture bitrate of 384kbs....

If you wanted to put 3 hours on a DVD you would need to use a Bitrate of about 3000kbs which is too low for the Full D1 Resolution (720+480/576-Pal) to produce acceptable quality but if you Change the resolution to 352+480/576-Pal at 3000kbs then the Quality will Still be Quite good....

This is all very Basic stuff so you should have any Problems doing this....

Cheers