1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very new, need help dvd shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by purple72, Jan 14, 2004.

1. purple72

purple72 Member

I just bought a new system. It is a Sony rs410. The key selling point was the built in DVD-R. Coworkers suggested dvd shrink, they have had no problems. I took out a dvd that I owned, tried to back it up, and was told I could not, the disk was protected. So next I am told to create a virtual dvd drive, and save it there. I did that, went back to dvd shrink, opened the file no problem. Burned it to a Memorex disk, then my dvd paly does not recognize it. I borrowed burnt discs from coworkers and they play on my machine. Please help (and be very detailed, I'm a little slow) :)

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi purple 72,
    A few questions and comments so we can be clear! Is your intention to watch movies on your PC, or do you want to make copys? What program did you use to burn your disc? DVD Shrink cannot burn, it only decrypts and compresses. Another program is needed to burn. What version of DVD Shrink do you have?
    I assume you have -R or -R/W blank media for your -R burner.
    You need a burning program, the newest version of Shrink is Version 3.1.2. It is designed to work with Nero 6.
    Get a 30 day demoversion here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631898252770313.html

You need to read the guides for DVD Shrink and Nero 6 Burning ROM, DVD-Video mode. Guides here:
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

The more you can say about your system and what programs you have the better, and be very detailed! :D
    We want to help!

Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

purple72,

Some Hints:

1. Read the spec sheet of your player and your burner to see what media it's compatible with (+R or -R).

2. Always use name brand Media. Cheap stuff is going to cause you problems.

3. If the DVD was write protected having a virtual drive won't help. If DVDShrink didn't rip your DVD then download Decrypter and using File Mode Decrypt it with that. Then open the ripped file from the "Open File" button in Shrink.

4. Make sure that you're using DVDShrink 3.1.2 version, excellent version, that !

Use Frank's link for Nero, Shrink uses Nero to burn your disc. Just 3 clicks and you're done.

I just finished a Horror movie - "Sleepaway Camp" start to finish in 32 minutes !

Enjoy,

Pete

Ooohh yea, Welcome to the forum-

4. dixonjohn

dixonjohn Guest

I am a nubie at dvd copying, but I just starting using dvd shrink, and it does burn the movie for you, I dont follow you when you say you nedd nero also.

Thanks

John

5. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dixonjohn,
    DVDShrink 3.1 and 3.1.2 found *Nero without you knowing it "Auto-ain't ya lovin' it- matically". ;-D

Life sure is good with the right tools :))

Pete

PS Should have said - Nero or any other burning program you had on your system. If you had no other burning program on your system Shrink could not have copied :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  7. purple72

purple72 Member

Thanks everyone, I loaded Nero 6, added the movie to an image, used dvd shrink, and burned the movie with Nero 6.

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi purple72,
    Congrats on your burn!
    Have you tried just opening the disc with Shrink 3.1.2 and letting Nero Auto-burn it? It is TOO easy!

You mentioned adding the movie to an image and I'm just curious if you are adding an unneeded step.

Best Wishes,
    Frank

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Purple72,

See that - I knew you had it in you,

You be da Man !!

What the "Fastman" said (make sure you have the 3.1.2 version. under "Help" at the bottom, it'll tell you)

The "Auto Burn" is way Kool -

Pete

10. dixonjohn

dixonjohn Guest

Thanks everyone,

That explains everything.

So far, I love dvd shrink!

John