1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very newbie questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by missypatt, Feb 26, 2005.

1. missypatt

missypatt Member

Hello all! I am VERY new to this and have a lot of questions! I just bought a new laptop that has a DVD burner in it and want to know where to begin. It came installed with Nero and I just down loaded a DVD decrypter. What do I need to know to begin? Is there any forums that will walk you through the whole process? I don't understand big words with long terms.. I just need simple advice. Thank you!! ~missy

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi missypatt,

Welcome to Afterdawn! I'd just like to explain a few things first.

Media:
    That would be your blank DVDs. Make sure you get the right format. By that I mean if you have a +R burner, then get +R DVDs if it is a - get -R DVDs. Chances are it can use both but you should check.

Use quality media. Do not buy the cheapest stuff you can find. It does make a difference. I prefer Ritek G-04 and Verbatim. There are lots of good brands out there some not so good.

Get some RW media to practice a bit with first. RW discs are eraseable.

Programs:
    Decrypter is a good program to have. Understand that just about all movies are to big to fit onto a single-layer DVD. A popular method is to use DVD Shrink with Decrypter to fit that DVD-9 onto a DVD-5 blank disc.

You can download Shrink here at Afterdawn or from my site, http://www.dvdplusvideo.com I have the Shrink .exe on my server so it is a direct download, No mirrors.

A few other tips:
    Make sure your original is clean. Clean it if it needs it. My method is just a bit of screen cleaner sprayed on the DVD, gentle wipes from the center out, not round and round, followed by a bit of canned air.

Don't use your PC for anything else while you are ripping and burning. The process uses a lot of your pc's resources.

Read guides. There are guides here at Afterdawn, I have a bunch of ScubaPete guides at my website. bbmayo's site has guides as well.

There are lots of guides here and while you are at it read a few posts and look in the Glossary here.

Good Luck,
    Frank

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  4. missypatt

missypatt Member

Great advice!Thanks!! I just tried burning my first DVD and am going to check it right now. I am not sure if it worked or not.. sure is a lot to all this!! Thanks!

5. missypatt

missypatt Member

UGH it didnt work. Are the only two programs I need is dvd decrypter and shrink? What about to burn them.. can I use those two programs? ~Missy

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If you have Nero you only would need DVDShrink to backup a DVD (most of the time Decrypter is not needed).

Did you follow any guide? Here's another.

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I personally ISO Read the DVD w/ DVD Decrypter then 'open the disc' image' I've saved to HDD in DVD Shrink ... then output as an .ISO file ... which I then ISO Write [again w/ decryper].

check that you're using decent blank media !!!

8. missypatt

missypatt Member

I followed Bilbo65's advice and used the home.comcast.net and did everything word for word. I finally burned the first one!! I was so excited when I put it in the DVD player and it worked!! So I will try another one today and see if I get it again. Thanks for all the help you guys gave me!! this has been challenging!!~Missy

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

@ herbsman

Why all the extra steps???

10. marychat

marychat Member

I have bookmarked this page ,it is so good ,I can understand this

11. herbsman

@ Mytice

Because firstly DVD Decrypter has been getting round disc that DVD Shrink ripper craps out on... then use Shrink to compress & output file as ISO [again Decrypter].

Why the three question marks on the end of your last post btw , is it so incredulous ???

12. eric545

eric545 Regular member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  13. DECKARDO

DECKARDO Guest

Nero nero nero, jesus, I never hear anything about roxio 7 which in my opinion works just as good as nero...just use dvdshrink and make your dvd an iso then click on the iso you made and roxio will open up, then select burn...it takes 45 minutes

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2005
  14. footman

footman Member

I must admit, Nero can be a bit daunting at first, as there are so many options. However, once you have used it a few times and read a couple of good guides it's very straight forward. I think it's an excellent programme.

DECKARDO you mention Roxio 7. I have never used this but have heard some good reports about it. 45 minutes to burn a DVD-r seem a very long time, I assume this includes DVDShrink aswell.

Neil.

15. DECKARDO

DECKARDO Guest

yea footman,

i used to use dvd x-copy platinum which took about 30 minutes to read and put on the harddrive and 30 minutes to burn but i found dvd shrink and its ISO format is the best way to go..which takes my slow computer about 45 minutes including everythig...

I have been using Nero and Roxio Easy Media cd/dvd creator for a long time and i just found roxio to be a more stable and reliant program..i was also forced to get rid of Nero because it was messing up my burner in regards to working properly because as we all know, its really not good to have too many burning programs due to conflictions...

16. herbsman

hahahahahahahahaha @ Roxio !!

Are you sure ?

The amount of threads Ive had to clean up before in the past , because ppl are wondering why Nero doesn't work [and it's because of crappy Roxio is still installed].
    There's even an app for cleaning Roxio out of registry so a clean install of Nero can be undertaken.

[bold]Personally I would NEVER suggest/advice anyone to use Roxio.[/bold]

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Nero will ALWAYS kick roxios' ass.
    Roxio has to be the worst piece of software out there. Far too many people have too many problems just by having roxio installed.

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Line from the movie Johnny Dangerously:

I had Roxio once.... Just once!!!!!!

Do a search on the web about how many folks have nothing but problems with it and worst yet, the problems caused when they tried to uninstall it!!! Even Microsoft has fixes on their site for PC's with problems after Roxio was uninstalled!

Nero is my Hero!

19. DECKARDO

DECKARDO Guest

well, i guess I will tell you when i begin to have problems with Roxio but as of right now i'm still using it every day perfectly while I have nero nowhere to be found on my computer. Before you nero-lovers start responding to this mesage with hostility, just take a second and understand that sometimes people have different opinions than others and that some programs are better than others in terms of fitting peoples needs. Wait I gotta go, time to burn a dvd with roxio...

20. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Some are making it more complicated than it has to be. Why use nero or roxio. All you need is DVD decrypter and dvd shrink there both FREE programs. Rip with decrypter,compress with shrink then burn with decrypter.
    I've ran nero, roxio, veritas, ect,ect,ect. If you can run one then you can run them all.
    Good Luck

Spacedust..