1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very perplexing DVD-R problem

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ADurer, Mar 16, 2003.

1. ADurer

ADurer Member

I have a pretty strange problem with my modded PS2. I'm not exactly sure which mod chip it has installed, but I got it quite recently, around December.

I have 3 of my games backed up of DVD-R : MK:DA, Two Towers, and Kingdom Hearts. With Two Towers and Kingdom Hearts, the games load fine at first, and get to the "Playstation 2" logo. However, after that, the system makes a bit of noise, then goes silent and the game doesn't load. MK:DA works perfectly fine.

All of my CD-R games and MK:DA work fine. They never freeze or get choppy music/movies are anything. Also, Two Towers and Kingdom Hearts work (VERY rarely), and when they do, they also work perfectly, with no glitches or freezes.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what causes this problem, and how to fix it. I'm a bit more interested, however, in what causes it, so that I can work to prevent it in the future.

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

The PS2 can be fussy about the dvd media used. Was the one successful dvd burned on a different media? Just try copying the games that don't work onto other types of media. Remember, you get what you pay for, so try to get the high quality discs even if they are slightly more expensive, they should work much better.

3. ADurer

ADurer Member

That's the thing. Two Towers, which doesn't work, and MK:DA, which always works, are both on Mitsui DVD-Rs. I don't know what brand Kingdom Hearts is on, but it has a purple bottom.

4. jr_

jr_ Guest

If it works fine after you eventually get it started the you can eliminate the Media. Especially with the Two Towers this game can be demanding on the drive-media.

I think it's the mod and it's probably a Magic chip. The booting with a Magic just barely works anyway.
    The DVD bootup is seperate from the CD bootup.
    You may be able to help this if you increase the wire size for the ground and +5volts and make the ground as short as possible.
    No guarantees but it often helps with problematic booting as you described.

5. ADurer

ADurer Member

could it be anything else? Just asking, since I have no idea how to do what you recommended. I'm quite the noob, as I just bought my modchip and got it installed at a store. Do you think whoever installed it would be able to correct the problem?

6. jr_

jr_ Guest

You need to talk with whomever installed it and depending on his experience with installing mod chips may be able to help you.

7. ADurer

ADurer Member

ok. thanks all