1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Serious PS2 +R question ! Everyone please help

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Bladestor, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

As some of you may know from my previous posts, I have a V1 PS2 and a +R burner. Since I have a V1 I either needed to get a new PS2 or try to find a new laser. I chose to get a new laser. I found a place, http://www.vdo-specialties.com/ ,that guarenteed me 3 times that the new laser would read +R media. They sent it, and I installed it without a problem. Now, since it is un-modded for now, I could only test it with my +R movie backups (which later on i'm told isnt true). I have 3 movie backups that work perfectly in stand-alone DVD players, so I know the media is good. I tried all 3 in the PS2 with the new laser, and they didnt work. So, for the next few days I fought with www.vdo-specialties.com about them lieing to me and they completely denied ever gaurenteing it. Well, they finally agreed to send my money back as long as the laser still works. Well, in a last stupid e-mail, I told them what I assumed they knew all along. I said that my PS2 is currently un-modded and that cause of that I could only test +R movie backups. They sent me mail back saying "How could you have accused us of lieing when you dont even have it modded yet"? They also said "You have to mod it to play ANY backups, including movies"! So now, i'm saying to myself, "What the hell, there are tons of people on this forum that play movie backups without a mod". Now I look stupid to them for thinking what all you people are claiming. Is it only +R movie backups that require a mod? If anyone wants me to paste every mail me and www.vdo-specialties.com sent back to each other for more of a complete story tell me. For now here is the last thing they said to me-

YOU EVEN CANNOT PLAY MOVIE BACKUPS WITH OUT A MODIFIED PS2!!!!
    NOW WE KNOW YOUR PROBLEM, AND I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU YELLED AT US FOR
    NOTHING!!!!

YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

YOU THINK A MOVIE COPY IS GOING TO PLAY??? HA HA-HA!!!

IT DON'T UNLESS THERE STILL IS A MODCHIP IN THERE!!!!!

Thank You
    Customer Support

VDO Specialties
    http://www.vdo-specialties.com
    "Your Video Game Repair Source"

So, If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it! I really want to get this over with.

2. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

thats bull. There is nothing special a system does to play DVD movies. It reads the VOB file and thats it. there is no protection code like w/ a ps2 game. It may be your ps2 but I doubt it. I have a V.1 here that plays all my back up movies and I have on that wont play. The one that wont play though has a crappy laser and Cd games dont load and it takes forever for for the DVD ones to load. In short THEY dont know what they are talking about. Tell them to test it and dont just go off of what they heard!!

3. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

L-dubb, your V1 that you speak of is un-modded correct?

4. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Yes they are both un-modded.

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Well, if you PS2 needed to be modified to run DVD movie backups, so would your DVD player. It's simple as that. In otherwords, I know myself that an unmodified PS2 will run DVD movie backups. I'm not convinced that the problem with +R media compatibility can be solved with a lens chang-out on a v1-3 as how the lens just gets the bit patterns off the disc and doesn't try to give any meaning to the data. The compatibility problem on these consoles could likely be traced back to the DVD controller or the motherboard and in either case there's really nothing you can do about either as how nothing from a v4 and up PS2 will fit in a 1-3. I'll give you the same advice I give all my friends with older PS2s. The old PS2 are a pain to mod and have crappy readers at that, just sell it and get a v7 and mod it. They 're much easier to install a good mod in, offer the most flexibility with regards to media compatibility, and I think you'll be much happier with the end result.

6. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Well said Icemonkey!!

7. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

VDO is being un-cooperative. If it comes to it, can I count on atleast you 2 to back me up on the whole issue?

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Not sure just what kind of backup you're talking about. If I were you I'd keep the lens anyway. Sooner or later your old one is going to wear out.

9. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

I could keep the lens and get robbed $70 yes, but I will be getting a pre-mod soon. By backup I mean proof that a PS2 doesent need a mod just to play movie backups.

10. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

VDO does not know what they are talking about.

[bold]ANY UN-MODDED PS2 WILL PLAY A DVD BACKUP[/bold]

Verified by THOUSANDS of PS2 owners...Period.