1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very slow speed of games under 3.40 OE-A with max CPU speed

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by nhar068, Jul 1, 2007.

1. nhar068

nhar068 Member

Hi I have set my CPU to 333MHz and I am running 3.40 OE-A firmware.

I have 4 games currently installed on my 4gb memory stick:

Sid meiers: Pirates!
    GTA: Liberty City Stories
    Need for Speed Carbon: Own the City
    Socom US Navy Seals: Fireteam Bravo 2

GTA and Need for speed run particularly slowly, do games normally run quite slowly off a memory stick? Could it have something to do with the fact that my memory stick could be a fake? Any suggestions?

2. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Might be your memory card. If u got it from Ebay/amazon i bet it is fake. SanDisk memory sticks are fast... If your games are .cso convert them to .iso there will be no compression so games will be larger but it should load faster. o yea use UMDGen to convert it

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  3. nhar068

nhar068 Member

I thought that the speed of fake memory cards doesnt affect how game actually run, just the speed of transfer of files.
    When I transfer files the speed is about 2-3MB per second.

edit: and also while I do think my card is fake, the quality of the fake is amazing, the letters are engraved into the card, there are no black dots on the connections, the card is the right size (definitely not too large) and holds the correct ammount of data.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  4. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Fake cards affect Writing speed, also affect reading speed. I had one before that ran perfectly really fast reading/writing...BUT it dies really quickly so it depends on your card. If u got it somewhere like gamestop/staples/costco/best buy and stuff like that its probably not fake. What brand is your card? Is MagicGate supported? (click Triangle on the Video folderand then Information it should say MagicGate and if its supported or unsupported. Does it say Magic Gate on the memory card?

5. nhar068

nhar068 Member

the brand is Sony, it came with my PSP that I bought off ebay. The packaging made me think it was fake but the card itself is of amazing quality (at least the manufacturing is) but how slow are those games supposed to play? Would GTA: Liberty City Stories normally run at about 15-25 frames per second with periods of stuttering every 5 seconds, or am I just expecting too much from my little PSP?
    edit: and it says it does support magicgate

6. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Yea, that seems right, n since it suppoort magicgate its probably more real... But YES, SONY ARE REALLY SLOW memory cards. i would expect more, but its slow, mine is about the same with gta vcs cso. I see y GTA load slowly becuase theres so many buildings and things to load n it has to be quick. So does Need for speed, since u are going 200mph or w/e it load slowlier. But games like socom u walk n u more slowly so it loads faster. Like if u have a cheat for rocket boost for gta it will lag alot more/

7. nhar068

nhar068 Member

Dang, nevermind thanks for your help at least. It was kinda foolish of me to expect consistent 30-40 fps out of GTA: LCS when its only got a 333MHz processor

8. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Format your card into FAT16 file system. It will speed up your file loading dramatically.

From windows:
    Run cmd,
    In DOS prompt type in following
    format e:/ fs:FAT
    e:/ is your ms drive.

9. jrlynx13

jrlynx13 Member

Being a hard core modder of the PC version of vice city i want to start working on VC-stories but after i dump my umd i cant seem to get it to run from my mem stick. i have 3.40oe and a 2gb stick. and i'm getting a little frustrated cuz i can use some of my pc-VC tools but i can't test them cuz i can't figure out how to get it to play in the first place. someone please save my sanity and be generous with a solution!

10. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

What kind of program u used to dump the files? n i dont think that using PC patches will work for PSP however there is a cheatdevice for GTA:VCS/LCS its made by edison carter u can get it at cheatdevice.com (theres also cheat syc or something that have a big list of cheats) however the prx only works on firmware 3.03 OE or 3.03 with devhook(devhook = firmware emulation mostly more laggy, n waste bout 30MB of memory space...(Man i miss that devhook now...the old fashion way before custom firmware...)

11. jrlynx13

jrlynx13 Member

i used the "new umd dumper v0.2" and some games work but not the ones i really wanted I've only been in the psp scene for about 2 months cuz well never had the money for toys till recently anyway i think i can get my "gxt editor" to work, and on psp-hacks.com i found a new IMG editor called (Yet Another IMG Editor v1.3 (YAIE) for Grand Theft Auto!) that i really wanted to try but i don't want to flash my psp again if i don't have to but from what i have been reading fw 3.03 oe may be my best bet. I did figure that i'm obviously not gonna be able to put a high poly batmobile or a Lamborghini with suicide doors and neons on the VCS but after learning it's limits expect me to push them. but if it's at all possible to run an image with my current firmware i would really like to know cuz the last time i flashed my psp i spent days customizing and trying everything from fonts to icons for fun needless to say i didn't get laid that week!!!