1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very strange wireless connection problem.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by talosian, Oct 28, 2012.

1. talosian

talosian Member

Wireless laptop, Gateway with Windows 7.

I'm on wireless exclusively. Maybe 15-feet from the router and only windows between us (no massive walls, etc.).

Sometimes when I go to connect and have 4 bars (strength "strong"), I get an error message that I can't connect. Try several times but no connection.

I walk the laptop into the room w/the router and it connects, go back into the other room and all is well.

Any thoughts? Very frustrating.

Thanks.

2. navskin

navskin Regular member

try giving your router a rest set or if you have any spaces in your network name remove them, i know ipods and things dont like spaces in the network name they can sometimes see the network sometimes they cant and can drop out and things once they have connected.

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

So are you saying that in one room (next to the access point) it's always fine? But in the other room you have dodgy intermittent connection? If this is the case we can pretty much rule out problems with the laptop/wireless card/driver.

There could be differing factors between the rooms that are not obvious. I know it's only glass between them but could there perhaps be metal framing around the glass or other metallic infrastructural features that often cause big problems with wireless reception? There could also be items in the bad room that are introducing interference.

A good place to start is download some software like inSSIDer which should hopefully enable you to easily identify problems with your wifi connection in different physical locations.