1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very wierd problem with my ps2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xbirdyx, Jan 11, 2005.

1. xbirdyx

xbirdyx Member

When i turn on my ps2 and press the eject button the tray doesn't eject and theres nothing coming up on the screen. I wait for a while to see what happens and then it shows the sony logo thing and then it resets my whole configuration like i just bought it. I enter the language stuff and my time zone and then i press the eject button and then the tray comes out and i put in a game. It loads but the screen goes black and just stays there. I press reset and everything will repeat all over again.

It was working fine days before. I have a magic 3.1 installed in it and my ps2 is a version 3.

I dont know what's a wrong, maybe it was because i pressed reset to much to load my backups or maybe i tried to make my ps2 read a dvd+r? Help is greatly appreciated

2. marujuju

marujuju Member

Hmm never heard of this happening. Kind of sounds like it may be a dead c-mos though, since it wont turn on(charging) and when it does it resets stuff. I am not sure what PS2 uses but try opening the case and taking out c-mos and restarting your PS2 then turn off your PS2 and put back in c-mos. If that does not help(probaly wont) then the only other thing I can recomend it order a new one.(online or something)

3. xbirdyx

xbirdyx Member

where do i find the cmos in the ps2?

4. marujuju

marujuju Member

I have never looked so I am just geusing its same setup as a pc. Take the case off and look on the mobo, you will see a watch battery looking thing. That is c-mos. Basically it saves clock and stop bios from resetting. So if the battery is bad/dead your PS2 would be forgetting system clock data, and other things to like what to boot when and what not.(booting order though would just reset to defuelt so shouldnt effect that.)

5. xbirdyx

xbirdyx Member

i still cant find the battery, i lifted the case and none of the stuff in there looks like watch batteries they all look like regular batteries used in like flashlights and stuff. I check the bottom part but there weren't any batteries there just the modchip and other stuff.

I'm taking back my ps2 tomorrow to the person who installed the modchip to see if he can fix it and i hope it is fixable and thankyou for helping.

6. xbirdyx

xbirdyx Member

i haven't checked deeper into my ps2 cause i was too afraid that i was gonna break something but i know the battery is in there now

7. billz

billz Active member

it's on the right by power it's in brown casing

8. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Even if the battery there (C-MOS) is missing the PS2 still operates. The little glowy lights just dont spin and the clock wont run when the battery is out. It sounds really like you mobo is POOF. At the price of a mobo youre better off buying a new PS2. Thats my opinion.

Ludikhris

9. marujuju

marujuju Member

I know things will still turn on, just not work. It sounded to me though like thats what happening to him. Didnt he say something like he turns it on and can hear it start but nothing happens? Or am I losing my mind.

10. xbirdyx

xbirdyx Member

when i turn the ps2 on it just shows a green light on the reset button, no blue light on the eject button, but the fan is spinning. If you wait for like 5 minutes the blue light will go on and the screen will go black. After another minute or so it will start up and show the sony logo and stuff and ask me to choose a language, time zone.

sometimes the ps2 will turn on normally if you leave it alone for like an hour but the games wont work and if you press reset it will repeat all those things i said at the top. Another weird thing is that when i'm at the main menu those sphere things sometimes spin around very fast. I go into configurations and the time is speeding up very fast and it only stops if i go and change the time in the ps2.

11. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Sounds more and more like a nuked mobo to me. Erratic activity such as that is almost assuredly broken hardware. It is hard to point out what is exactly the problem but I would get what you can out of it on ebay or something and buy a new one unfortunatly. Thats just my opinion. And I swear my PS2 worked when the battery was not there, i could be wrong though.

12. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Sounds more and more like a nuked mobo to me. Erratic activity such as that is almost assuredly broken hardware. It is hard to point out what is exactly the problem but I would get what you can out of it on ebay or something and buy a new one unfortunatly. Thats just my opinion. And I swear my PS2 worked when the battery was not there, i could be wrong though.