1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA BOXES

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Noriko82, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Noriko82

Noriko82 Regular member

hi people, i was just wondering how to fix my ps2 to the mornitor so i search the net and it led me in to whole tons of trouble choosing which VGA BOX should i buy, so shall we just write down the names of VGA boxes we are using so this threat will be useful to everyone who is stuck in the same situation as i do.

I have a 17' Philliphines Real Flat, Lightscreen monitor. Which one is best for me?. plz let me know.

2. drumbaby

drumbaby Guest

I think I've found the 'best' way to play PS2 on my CRT VGA monitor after being very dissatisfied with the TV card route:

I got a Hori Upscan Converter 2 last week, from Play Asia.com

It works an absolute treat. It's much MUCH sharper than the TV card solution, where the TV card's sharpest option (S Video in) is equivalent to the Hori's fuzziest option (composite, like RF aerial in).

But with the Hori you can separate colours even more than with S Video, by using its main RGB connector (component - YPbPr). All you do is, with no game in the PS2's drive, turn the PS2 on, and change its output setting from RGB to YPbBr. Then to all intents and purposes you're providing the purest output from the console to the Hori.

You just have to select the input on the Hori, by choosing between S-Video, composite and component.

You can have your PC monitor's resolution set to whatever you like, and flick the Hori to its 'Game' position. voila, PS2 on your monitor at 640x480. When you want to use your PC again flick the Hori switch to 'PC' and you'll get your old PC desktop settings back.

The other cool advantage with the Hori is that there's no degrading of PC image quality with its pass-through like with 99.9% of other VGA boxes, so your Windows desktop/ PC games look as sharp as ever.

It powers up from your USB port, either from your PC or even PS2, so there's no need to fiddle with weird AC DC connectors or transformers.

The manual is in Japanese, but the unit itself is labelled in UK-ese. It's really easy to work out, and now with my instructions even easier still!

It costs about £42, inc p&p from Play Asia.com

Link:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-77-1-15-hori+upscan-70-5w4.html

Oh, and it comes with an Xbox RGB lead too. The only downside is that it doesn't do progressive scan.

3. Noriko82

Noriko82 Regular member

wow, thanks a lot friend, i wish all the people in the world is like you, thanks again! Wish u all the best in ur life, for this nice reply,