1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to HDMI possible?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by xalaros, Feb 28, 2006.

1. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

usb iscomputer device connector and dvi is also one but it does more than computer i think it is possible but u need a bridge in between usb signal chanes to audio /video

2. badmanvan

badmanvan Member

DJKrishna (respek to da name)

I had a similar issue with my Dell Laptop, all i did was buy a Docking station (DVI OUT), a dvi cable and audio cable and connected it all up.

BluRay worked great but the audio was in analgue, but not a major problem as it was crystal clear to begin with

You can adjust the settings of the dual monitor output

Picture is MINT and sharp as hell in 1080p

3. coolarun

coolarun Member

Hey where did you buy docking station. Can you share which model of docking station for your dell laptop and how much price. If you can share your information. It will be helpful to us to come up with some solutions as well

4. badmanvan

badmanvan Member

Its a Dell PR01X Docking station working fine on my Dell D620 Widescreen laptop..
    Price is approx £25-£80 or double that if in dollars, and the cheapest place would be auction sites such as flee bay!!! or car boot sales (Flee Markets)

It has a DVI out, VGA out etc, so you just need four things...Docking station, Compatible Dell laptop, DVI to HDMI (if your TV has a HDMI) and a single Headphone Audio Cable with twin audio output jacks (connected to your stereo left and right)

You say you have two dell laptops:- an Inspiron and D620, so why dont you try the cheapest option or see if you can borrow one and test

This would be the far cheapest option, but if you what true surround or THX output then u will be spending some big bucks for a stand alone player!!!

Actually there are others that will work, but dont know if it will have the DVI out, but i can personally say that this model works a treat for me and i dont even have processing issues when i play back films either in BluRay/HD Divx MKV files......

I also have a HD DivX Wireless Media player (Kiss DP600), now this works great for streaming divx films and HD 720, but does sometimes struggle when streaming 1080p films (but thats only wirelessly and not cabled) but the sad thing is that the player doesnt play MKV files and dont think there is any furture plans to anywayz

5. badmanvan

badmanvan Member

I have also tried the VGA in the same testing and to be quiet honest there is very little difference in the quality, only the perfectionists and probably the larger and expensive 50"+ LCD/Plasma Screens would make a difference in the quality!!!!

6. ahshnepti

ahshnepti Guest

It's possible to convert VGA to HDMI but not directly. The signals need to be conditioned using a converter box, or you can build your own. (Maybe $10 cheaper than buying one?) There are HDTV's out there with VGA inputs and great resolution. So why even bother converting? Just spend the extra $200-300 on a better tv with VGA capabilities. I bought mine for $550 at Wal-Mart. It's an RCA and it has 2 HDMI inputs, one with surround output, VGA input, Coaxial Input, 2 Composite inputs, 1 component input, Digital Audio inputs and outputs, and a USB input (Not for service.) It's pretty sweet. only 32" but im cheap so.

HDMI or (coax with sound) to VGA would be cool, then you can use your high-ass resolution monitor to watch tv and videos and stuff. Sick. someone should invent that.

7. coffybaby

coffybaby Member

i have read through all five pages of this thread and i was hoping to get some confirmation...

i have a pc with vga output only. the hdtv has vga & hdmi inputs. so right now i'm running vga to vga. the picture quality is great, but i can not get the resolution to fill the entire screen (which is my ultimate goal) and i have tried every possible combination available (bravia will not accept certain resolutions via vga).

if i get a new graphics card that has an hdmi output built in, will i be able to get a resolution that fills my hdtv's screen? right now there's huge black areas surrounding the viewable area. so maybe i'm only getting about 60% of the full screen area?

also... my old nvida graphics card does not have TV settings on it. and it does not seem to be detecting the new TV as it's current monitor, which is another reason i'd like to get an upgrade. it's an old card.

so my question is... will a new graphics card (with new output) fill my hdtv screen?
    thanks to anybody who has time to answer.

8. coffybaby

coffybaby Member

wow... the solution was so simple. the wide screen button. lol. so um... nevermind lol

9. TomTom328

TomTom328 Member

Here is another one.
    http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=953
    HDMI Video Converter (VGA/YPbPr to HDMI)

10. rogy31

rogy31 Member

my prob is my pc inputs on my lcd only support up to 1280x1024, while my laptop is 1600x1050 max res. The lcd cuts off the laptop screen. looks amazing. The vga cable at 1280 is 10x better than the s-video. My lcd is 1920x1080, but only excpets that signal into the hdmi. Why would they limit the vga/dvi input when the cable is in fact limitless? Is there anyway around that??

thxs

11. markbink

markbink Member

12. rexzone1

rexzone1 Member

Hi,
    I have an inspiron 1545 with VGA output only.
    My graphics card is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD.
    I am trying to connect my laptop to Samsung LN32B360 LCD tv.
    I tried the VGA out to HDMI cable which did not work.
    Now after reading this forum, I thought I can use VGA out to PC in of my LCD tv as well as VGA out to component in of my TV.
    I need help with this of which one will be the best choice a) VGA to VGA or b) VGA to component
    I would appreciate your inputs.
    Thank you.

13. ngouba25

ngouba25 Member

I have been trying to find a way to connect my laptop to my tv to watch movies. I have heard that you can get a vga to hdmi or vga to rgb cable and that will sent the signal i need without having to buy a pc to tv convertor. Is this true? I dont have a vga input on my tv only hdmi,component, and standard rca. thank for the help.

14. sitja

sitja Regular member

hi guys great topic but im still unclear........ has anyone at all managed to get the laptop connected to tv when tv has no vga or s video and laptop fjs amilo la1703 only has vga. has anyone managed this at all under these type circumstances without gettig that converter for using hdmi to vga. not looking for perfect picture or anything just watchable... is this possible at all

15. rexzone1

rexzone1 Member

Hi ngouba25 and sitja,
    I have tried the VGA to HDMI cable and it doesn't work.
    Main logic behind this is VGA works on Analog and HDMI is digital.
    So the cable will not be able to do the conversion.
    I have VGA port both on my laptop and TV hence I have got VGA to VGA male cable and it works for me.
    Second option in the market is VGA to RGB cable.
    RGB is analog and you will have RGB ports on almost all the LCD tvs.
    So I would recommend to use this option if you don't have VGA port on your tv.

16. Mike2731

Mike2731 Member

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 46 inch sony bravia lcd tv with HDMI and VGA input and expected to get a good quality picture by connecting it to my laptop. My laptop only has a vga output and supports up to 1600x1200 resolution. After i connected my laptop to the lcd with resolution of 1280x768 the resolution didn't fit the entire screen and pushing the wide button on the remote didn't help also because it zoomed in to the screen and the picture quality was noticeably reduced. I haven't had such problem with samsung lcd's. Samsng simply upscale any pc signal to 1080P resolution and there is no need for any of those convertor boxes. I tested an HD content from quick time website and it was amazingly wonderful close to blue-ray quality. With this new sony i tried a vga to hdmi converter box and the result wasn;t that great . despite manufacturer's advertising that product was not capable of converting any resolution to native resolution of the hdtv. and the picture quality was lower than a vga to vga connection I saw some suggestions about using vga to component cable or converter. In that case,will it be able to handle the resolution settings and fill a 1080p screen with 1280x768 resolution? any ideas?

Thanks

17. xatz29

xatz29 Member

Hi guys! i have an HDTV and the only output it has is HDMI...unfortunately cause my laptop has only VGA and S-video.
    Is there any way i can connect my laptop to the TV and still have HD quality??
    Or the only way is to get a DVI-VGA adapter and connect it to a DVI-HDMI cable??

18. adriena

adriena Member

I thought I wanna try that next. I'm giving up tinkering on this. So I look for VGA to RGB or DVI to RGB? Also, should I look into DVI-D to RGB? any help could be great.Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  19. whiteking

whiteking Member

20. maitland

maitland Member

@whiteking:

I don't think that cable will work. hdmi is purely digital whilst vga is analog (the video signal part, anyway). Not to mention hdmi features(sic) the cryptic handshaking routine known as hdcp.

Therefore, to go hdmi->vga you need DACs (digital to analog converters) as well as an hdcp system to built into the cable, somehow. To go vga->hdmi you need ADCs (analog to digital converters).

This cable can not possibly provide solutions to these issues for 10 dollars.