1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to HDTV adapters any good?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by Stinky_1, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I am looking at a cheap way to get my PC with a standard VGA out to connect to my TV. My tv only has Svideo, or composite and component inputs. SO I found this thing

[​IMG]

It looks like it just plugs into the vga port and has some dip switches to set the HDTV signal type. (480i, 1020p whatever blah blah blah) What I want to know is if this only works for the ATI cards (As thats who makes it) or if I really can hook it up to my tv and have it work without buying an expensive viedo card.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if not proprioty to ati than should be no problem. try it out & if not work than take it back for refund

3. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

They are about $30 to buy though, and I can get a video card with svideo out for $60. The PC stores where I live that carry this product wont let you buy it and bring it back for no real reason. They only exchange it. So I wanted to be pretty sure before I get it.

Unless I find $30 I have lying around one day.

4. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

the other thing I wonder about is if someone could just make their own adapter? If you look at the pinouts on a standard vga cord there is a distinct pin for rgb + and RGB -. I suspect a direct 1 to 1 connection would have some problems. There most likely needs to be a way to mix the vsync and hsync into those rgb signals. But has any tried making one? and is it as simple as I hope it is?

I have looked on the net for diy's on making your own but am not having much luck.

5. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I guess I get to answer my own questions again. I found a DIY site for making a breakout cable. Its pretty neat

This is the basic idea

[​IMG]

I got the info from here

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

I will be making mine up tomorrow and testing it out. It looks like I was right. It is just as easy as hooking up the 6 wires to the correct pinouts on the hd15 connector.

I suspect this does the same thing as the ATI thing. I am not totally sure what they do the dip switches for on it though. I think its for signal blocking and stuff, but should not be needed.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get the solder d-sub 15pin connector not the crimp on version

7. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I didnt even realize that there was a crimp on version availible. But yes, I am planning on soldering the connections.