1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA Vs. Component for the 360

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by nintari, Mar 12, 2007.

1. nintari

nintari Member

I also posted this in the 360 forum, but no one seems to either know or want to help so I figured it might be more appropriate in this forum instead.

1.)Will the 360 HD-DVD add on play HD-DVD moves at 720p and 1080i with component cables? I know you can't upconvert old ones, but can you get those HD resolutions on HD-DVD's with them?

2.)What is the quality difference on the 360 between VGA and component? I have heard that VGA has some issues on the 360 compared to component cables and don't want to get them if that's the case.

I have an LCD TV with max res of 13xx-7xx if that helps as I'm sure the TV you're using makes a difference.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  2. error5

error5 Regular member

1. Yes you can get HD-DVD playback at 720p and 1080i with component.

2. I would say it depends on how your HDTV handles VGA signals. I have two friends with differing experiences with the HD-DVD add-on. One has a 720p Toshiba LCD which didn't handle the VGA signal very well and he ended up going with component. Another had a Samsung 1080p DLP set which had great results with the VGA signal. He stuck with VGA because the 360 upconverts standard DVD's with the VGA connection.

If you have both cables I'd say try them both and see.

3. nintari

nintari Member

Much appreciated, thanks.

4. PapPeD

PapPeD Member

I have a Westinghouse 37" LCD 1080p (1920x1080 native) tv using the cheap Pelican vga cable with the xbox360.

The color and brightness look MUCH better when I use vga versus the component cable.

The colors look more washed out on component and the contrast is not as good (I have to adjust the contrast roughly +10 on the TV to achieve a somewhat similar effect as VGA).

It probably is going to vary from tv to tv, but for me VGA wins by a landslide.