1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS/8mm to DVD with MPEG2 Hardware

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by blueblur, Jan 22, 2011.

1. blueblur

blueblur Member

Simply put: Is there any software out there that will let me do a hardware MPEG2 capture on my UltraTV MCE 1500 besides Media Center?

More elaborate story: I recently dug up my old MPEG2 Hardware UltraTV MCE 1500 TV tuner card and threw it in my Windows 7 Machine (3GHz P4, 1.5GB DDR2, Dual 80GB Hard Drives, nVidia 6800 GFX) and wanted to use it to capture some old 8mm Camera Tapes and some VHS tapes to DVD. The problem is getting something to output decent quality without dropping frames. I tried neroVision, which didn't drop frames (unless I recorded direct to DVD, bad idea) but it's output, even at the highest bitrate, looked like absolute crap. I tried PowerVCR3 (which came with another one of my capture cards back in the day) and it looked decent on the highest bitrate, but dropped a few frames when the tape was a bit dirty and threw off tracking.

Neither of these use the hardware MPEG2 capturing of this card, they just use the DirectShow passthrough. If possible, I would love to get some software that will capture MPEG2 on this card through hardware. I tried to setup Win7 Media Center, but being hooked up through s-Video, it wants to set it up as a settop box and it complains about the lack of IR blasters and won't finish setup.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I have an older (ATSC) Hauppauge card in my Windows 7 PC.
    Running Snapstream (Beyond TV) it can setup and capture through the card's S-Video connector.