1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS-C to DVD-r to CPU for editing HELP PLS

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 1downfall, Jun 22, 2007.

1. 1downfall

1downfall Member

Hello all. I am new here. I am sorry if this was posted somewhere, but I could not find it....And i looked in the guides and followed the links. I printed some guides for reference as well.
    I have some 1-6 yr old VHS-C tapes that I am recording to DVD-R via a JVC tape and dvd-R combo recorder. I put them on dvd-r to save the videos from further deterioration. I then have to take the dvd-r and copy it to my movie storage HD.
    Problem:
    1.My vhs-c tapes are scattered and some not labeled, so I just started copying all of them in no order to my dvd-r within the JVC combo. Will I be able to sort through them for some type of chronological order via video editing software?
    2. When I copy the dvd-r to hd, it is saved as a TS (?) file and I cannot play the file w/out the disc. What do I need to get around this? Am I missing some type of file conversion step?
    I have Nero 6 and windows xp movie maker and windvd 5 or 6. (i am at work and can't remember.)
    I am just trying to make a few movie dvd's with my copied dvd's in some sort of timeline for family to watch. Any advice is appreciated!!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Download a good media player like VLC to play the contents of the folder.

To edit the contents of the DVD you need something like TMPGenc DVD Author.
    One of the guides at Afterdawn shows basic operation.

If no editing was required, it would probably be easier to view the video, decide what the content consists of, then use Nero Vision Express to load the VOB file or files from multiple folders and use the menu step to label them and burn.

3. 1downfall

1downfall Member

ok. so I downloaded VLC. It seems to work while the disc that I copied is still in the drive. Otherwise, the files i copied from the disc will not play.
    So before I continue to try editing software, I still cant view all the ts files I put on my hd, unless each disc gets put back in the drive.
    Am i way off here? not using VLC correctly? thanks

4. attar

attar Senior member

If the files are in a DVD standard folder (see pic):
    Run VLC > File > Open Directory.
    Locate the folder containing the files,then 'OK', either the Menu (if it has one) appears or the movie starts.

If it is a standalone video file (not in a standard DVD folder):
    Run VLC > File > Open File and browse to the video.
    It can be an AVI,MPEG or VOB file.

This is a typical folder.
    VTS_01_1.VOB & VTS_02_1.VOB are the video files.
    VIDEO_TS.VOB is the menu.
    The .IFO are information files, .BUP are backups of the .IFO files.

[​IMG]

5. 1downfall

1downfall Member

ok. I am not sure if it was late last night or what.....anyhow, I can now open each video_ts file and play each one as I want. when I open the TS folder, it appears similar to yours.
    Now, that is one hurdle. What do I need to import or sort through all these videos so that I can piece them together in a time line and edit some?
    thank you attar for your help!

6. attar

attar Senior member

Checkout the Afterdawn guides.
    TMPGenc lets you import and edit multiple files.

7. 1downfall

1downfall Member

ok. I think some good new has found my way. I was goin through my cd's and found my Cyberlink Power Director!!! I uploaded the patch releases for it and wham....I may be in business now. I really did not want to spend the 70.00 or so yet until I get to work with the basics of editing etc.
    right now, power director is loading all the vob files.....it is even sorting them from when I started camera recording to when i stopped and started again....chapters i think. Looks like it will take a while to sort through almost 7 years of video!!