1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vhs capture and edit

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by yzeone, Jun 13, 2004.

1. yzeone

yzeone Member

my goal is to capture wedding videos and reedit them
    i guess i need to know hoe to start...
    i have a dell 5150 notebook
    3.06ht
    80 gig hd
    ge force fx go5200
    hl-dt-st-dvd+rw-404n
    s video
    usb
    firewire
    and i really dont know what else is relevent
    anyways how do i get the vidoe into my system?
    i have sonic dvd and windows moive maker do i need anything else?
    i am very basic if you cant tell so please be basic in your answer.thankas

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if your Video Is Analogue you will Need a Capture Device ...
    Since you have a Laptop you are going to have to get a External Capture Device and USB Capture devices Suck pretty Bad, well at least the Cheap ones do.(You will need to spend up to $400 for a Good One)..
    Which means you should get an External Firewire capture Device like the Canopus ADVC-100 which will run you up to $250....

If your Video was Shot with a DV Camcorder then you can capture the Video by hooking your DV Camcorder Directly to your Firewire Port....
    Windows Movie Maker can Capture the Video from your Camcorder and you can edit it also with Movie Maker But just make sure that you render your Project as a DV AVI file because the Program will try to render your Project in it"s Crappy WMV Format....

After you have Captured and edited the Footage and rendered it to a DV AVI file you will need to use a Good Mpeg encoder to encode the Captured file to Mpeg2 for DVD authoring and then you can use Sonic MyDVD to author the DVD.....

3. yzeone

yzeone Member

thanks for the info ive done alittle research on the subject and i want a subjective opinion--what is you opinion on dazzle dvc-150/or 200 using pinnacle software? is this a good device/program ive seen a lot of positive feedback but a need a second opinion--by the way im in canada if it matters for availability.....e bay has multiple listings of this item and i want to make an informed purchase thanks again and i look forward to hereing from you.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Dazzle DVC-150 Was a Fairly good device for it"s time but rather Old now and since Dazzle was bought out by Pinnacle there is No more support for any Dazzle Products but you can get them a lot cheaper now because of this...And there were some Problems with the Dazzle MovieStar Software that came with it and it only works with that Software and No others...
    If you can get one For say $100 I would say go for it because when it works properly the Quality was Fairly good for a Hardware Mpeg Encoder.......
    I think the DVC-200 is just the European version of the DVC-150 but I"m mot absolutely sure....

So were in Canada do you Live??? I also live in Canada ,I"m liveing on Vancouver Island at the Moment.....Cheers

5. yzeone

yzeone Member

im in toronto...would rather be there. thanks for the info the prices are higher than 100 best buy is 229+15% online is averaging around 200 with shipping included so far. So that is too high i guess..I might mention i am a complete amateur with no expierience with anything really..i am just trying to find a hobby and side cash flow for now....what i get from your answer is not REALLY negative..i think/hope that this will suit my needs unless i get more advanced in the field which i cant forsee happening too quickly..by then i will actually invest in a proper desktop and correct periferals..for now i paid LOTS for this laptop and i intend to use it until i can no more unless you can recommend another usb device in and around 200-300 that would be better for me...i might add that no one aronud here has a clue about anything it took me three weeks just to find outabout the dazzle unit...i got everything from"you cant on laptop"to use rcas and s video and plug into my mic people here a re useless completely so i REALLY do appreiciate your advice.... by the way i have asked about he equipment yumentioned and none has heard of it or carries i(see what mean)

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can probably Find one on E-bay for Less than $300,
    Heres the Dazzle Creation Station 200 for about $200 + Shipping..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14928&item=5101254968&rd=1

You are Really limited with what you can do with a Laptop because you can"t really add anything to it unless it is USB or Firewire and most of the USB Devices really aren"t very Good and all of the Firewire Devices which are Good and Capture to a format that is easier to edit but need Quite Large ammounts of Disk space for the Captured Files...

You could Build yourself a pretty Fast PC for not much more than $300 ,Say for about $500 you could build a 2.0ghz+ PC that you could put a $50 TV Card in that would produce the same or better quality than most anything you could get in USB for the same ammount of Money....
    I have a Small Buisiness were I build PC"s and sell them and I do repairs and Upgrades for poeple and all the Systems I build are between 2.2ghz and 2.5ghz and It only costs me between $350 and $450 each to build and they are good systems, so I don"t see why you can"t do the same thing...You spend just a Little more money and you have yourself a whole new Computer and a Capture Card or spend a Little less and just have a Capture device that might not be as good ...
    And Buliding a PC is totally simple, I built my First Computer before I ever know how to turn one on....
    Just something you might want to consider, and it is someting I could help you with if you needed it....

Well good Luck...Cheers