1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS - DVD, audio problems when authoring

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by penno77, Jan 28, 2004.

1. penno77

penno77 Member

I am having problems getting good audio quality on a DVD that I am making of several clips captured from VHS or BETA SP. The original AVI sounds pretty good in most cases. Here is what I have tried:

I have done all capturing in VideoDub (experimented with audio levels between 30% and 90%)

I have tried going straight to DVD from AVI using ULeads DVD Workshop, the DVD looked great, but the audio had pops and clicks in it.

I have also tried first encoding to m2v/wav using TMPGEnc (listening to the WAV file, the audio sounds fine) and then I tried authoring using both NeoDVD and Ulead DVD Workshop ... NeoDVD did not produce the pops and clicks, but the audio has a distinct buzz to it, DVD Workshop produced the clicks and pops again.

I am wondering if I am having problems with AC3 encoding in the authoring? Or am I still having level problems and I need to capture at even less than 30%? Maybe the captured audio has problems that are to subtle to hear but they get worse with each step and that is why it is difficult to hear any problems with the original audio? I am trying to avoid re-capturing (I already had an employee capture 180 gigs of footage from our show), but if that is the answer then I will do it.

If anyone (Minion are you out there ;) has any suggestions or previous experience with this sort of problem I would be super-appreciative to hear them.

Penno77

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well What Sample Rate are you Captureing to ?? If you are Captureing for DVD you should Capture at 48000hz Because if you use a Different Sample Rate then it has to get Converted to 48000hz when you put it on DVD and that can really Degrade the Audio Quality, You can also get a good audio editor to Clean up the Audio and do a Profecinal Quality Sample Rate conversion...And another Problem could be the sound card you are useing ,If you are useing a intergated sound Card, One that is integrated on to the Motherboard then your audio Quality will not be that Good because of the Low recording quality of Integrated sound...If you keep getting Crappy sound Quality then try Recording at a very low Volume and then use an Audio editor to Boost the Volume and get rid of any backround noise.....Good Luck

3. penno77

penno77 Member

I am capturing at 48kHz and initially I was using integrated sound but quickly realized how bad that was and went out and bought a SB Audigy2. I am going to do another trial tomorrow with the sound even lower and maybe a trial using the mic input instead of the line input.

Is there an audio editor out there (free or trial) that you recommend?

Thanks

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

well Not Free But there may be a Trial But it will Not let you Create any audio With them ...One of the Best is "Sound Forge 7" and so is "Goldwave".....