1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS Movie decryptor

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by bigmac94, Mar 23, 2005.

1. bigmac94

bigmac94 Member

Hello All..
    Need Help With a Good VHS Movie DeCryptor For Aging VHS Tapes So I Can Put Them On DVD.
    Any Help Is Greatly Appriciated.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Canopus ADVC-100.

3. ExpHobby

ExpHobby Guest

Not sure if Canopus ADVC-100 has the capability to
    defeat Macrovision Copy Protection that a number of VHS movies have. One product I know does defeat the
    latest, greatest, and all VHS Macrovision protection is model SG-9 from http://www.kramerelectronics.com. A
    It can only accept the composite video output of
    your VHS machine. You can even feed the composite
    output of a DVD movie into this box and it will
    strip the Macrovision off, if you needed to.

Are you sure you've got movies on VHS worth converting
    to DVD? Quality of VHS images is sad commpared to DVD.
    From the other forums on this website, you can see that
    plenty of folks have success renting DVD's and using
    free software to make DVD backups.

On the other hand, if you're converting family-home-videos to DVD, you don't need a box to handle Macrovision.

Warning about the Kramer Machine - quality control isn't their strong suit. First unit, I returned because it wouldn't power on. 2nd unit, I had to
    open it up and readjust color balance. Adjustments
    inside the unit are not labelled. So, if you go down
    this Kramer path, you may need to be a little video circuitry savvy, or have someone who is video circuitry savvy to rely upon if the delivered unit isn't up to snuff.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yes, the Canopus (the new ADVC-110 is better) totally defeats macrovision, as do most other hardware encoder cards.
    They also provide the best possible quality from VHS to digital, unless you have a firewire digital cam to use as a passthrough, which also totally defeats macrovision.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can also just get a $20 "Video Stabilizer" that will remoove the Macrovision signal when Captureing VHS Tapes....

Some Versions of the Canopus ADVC-100 have a Trick to Defeating the Macrovision but not all Canopus ADVC-100 will do this....
    Also from what I hear the Canopus ADVC-110 also has this same Feature for remooveing Macrovision but if You ask anyone at Canopus they will tell you that this Anti-Macrovision Feature doesn"t exist ....

Cheers

6. permatex

permatex Regular member

facetvedio.com has what is called a clarifier that kills the copyright protection on vhs movies.its a small electronic box hooked up between the vcr and capture card.

7. bigmac94

bigmac94 Member

Hello Again..
    "Yes, the Canopus (the new ADVC-110 is better) totally defeats macrovision, as do most other hardware encoder cards.
    They also provide the best possible quality from VHS to digital, unless you have a firewire digital cam to use as a passthrough, which also totally defeats macrovision."
    Yes We Have A Fire Wire Card & A Sony Passthrough Camera We Are Using And Still We Were Unable To Get The movie To Copy In Uleads Movie Factory .
    Was Hoping For Something Like Decryptors Used In DVD.
    Just Doing It Because I Can`t.

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Don't use Ulead movie factory.
    Read the manual for the Sony. It should explain exactly how to get the stuff onto your computer.

9. bigmac94

bigmac94 Member

Hello..
    I`ve Been Making DVDs Out Of All The VHS Tapes We Had
    A Lot Of Them You Can Not Get In DVD,And As Another Poster Aptly Put It,The Quality Is Just Whats On The VHS Tape.
    The Process Is As Thusly..
    The VHS Player Is Pluged Into The Camera(Passthrough)It In Turn Is Plugged Into The Computer And In Turn Put On The Hard Drive. Having That Accomplished I Use Movie Factory For Chapters & Leadin Pics.
    Thats How It Workes With The Exception Of 1 Stubbern VHS Movie Thats Not Gonna Get The Best Of Me!

10. permatex

permatex Regular member

to bigmac94-to get good dvds from vhs tspes you need a good vhs movie,then you need a good vcr that will hold the tracking and you need a good program to transfer,decode and burn the dvd.i had some of the same problems you are having,i bought a new vcr and that solved some of my problems with jitters and tracking,i whent further and got a hp dc4000 dvd writer and did away with my capture card.the hp dc4000 writer has a built in captuer card and the program that comes with this writer works.to date i have transfered about 70 vhs movies to dvd.most of them are real good dvds and sone not as good due to the condition of some of my real old tapes but they are all worth looking at.the only way you would be able to get all good dvds is to copy all new vhs movie tapes.

11. pfh

pfh Guest

hmm...you might need a frame based TBC do get the stablity needed for this one stubborn tape.

12. bigmac94

bigmac94 Member

Yes Agree!
    I Don`t Have Any Problem Transfering VHS To DVD As We`ve Done Just About All We Are Gonna Do,With The Exception Of 1 Lone VHS Tape With Copy Protection That I Can`t Get To Go Through.
    As Most Of You Have Aptly Put It The Quality Is What It Is!& I Am Only Making DVDs Of The Ones We Can`t Replace.
    Have Any Of You Tried To Use A DVD Drcryptor Program Running In The Backround While Transferring VHS.

13. pfh

pfh Guest

Unless I'm missing something, DVD Decryptor (the program) doesn't have anything to do with anolog capture.

14. bigmac94

bigmac94 Member

Hello..
    I`m Not Having A Problem Capturing Any Video,Its The Decrypted Video I`m Having A Time With,On A Protected VHS Movie.

15. permatex

permatex Regular member

to bigmac94-as far as being able to copy protected vhs tapes,you will need a program or a piece of hardware that will kill macrovision copy protection that is used on vhs movies.facetvideo.com has a clarifier which is a small electronic box that is connected to the video cable between the vcr and the capture card.vhs movies you make yourself will not have copyright protecion,copied vhs movies and store bought vhs movies will.