1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS (PAL) to DVD.

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Jimerlin, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Jimerlin

Jimerlin Member

I have several of my own VHS tapes and videocam DV tapes, I would like to transfer them to the computer to edit them and then copy them to DVD to play on any DVD player. What software do I need to copy them to HDD and then to DVD? Is there a free decent editor?

Thanks.

Jim.(Merlin.)

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well your DV Tapes Can be Transfered to your PC through your Firewire Port useing your DV Camcorder and a Freeware DV Capture program Like "WinDV" or "DVIO" and once they are on your Hardrive you can edit them in something like "Virtual-Dub" just make sure you capture to a "Video For Windows" DV Format useing a VFW DV Codec like the "Canopus VFW DV Codec" or the "MainConcept DV Codec"....

After Captureing and editing your files You will have to encode them to the Correct format for DVD Authoring...There are a Bunch of ways to do about this, If you Just want to get the Movies on to DVD and don"t Care about haveing Menu"s or Chapters and aren"t totally concerned with Quality then you can use a Simple Program Like "VSO DivXtoDVD" to Convert your DV AVI files into a "Video_TS" folder which you would then Just Burn to DVD in DVD Video Mode useing something like Nero....VSO DivXtoDVD is a Freeware program....

If you do Want the Best Possible Quality and do want menu"s and Chapters in your DVD then you will have to encode your DV AVI files to Mpeg-2/DVD Format useing a Good Quality Mpeg encoder Like "Tmpgenc" and after you have encoded the files to the Correct format you will have to author them to DVD useing a DVD Authoring Program Like "MediaChance DVDLab" so you can add your Menu"s and Chapters and to Author the DVD... These encodeing and DVD authoring Programs aren"t free But they do have Fully working 30 Day demo versions that you can use....

As for Putting VHS Tapes onto your PC and then to DVD then Best way would be If your DV Camcorder has an Analogue Passthrough in which case you could Capture your VHS Tapes through your DV Camcorder to DV AVI format but if your DV Camcorder doesn"t have this Feature then you will have to go and Buy a Analogue Capture device....

Cheers

3. Jimerlin

Jimerlin Member

Hello Minion:

Thanks for he info, I will get the necessary and have a go then get back to you.

Cheers.

Jimerlin.

4. Jimerlin

Jimerlin Member

Hello Minion:

Just had a look at the video cam, it is a JVC 4000 EK and there ia no Fire wire output just a USB2. The computer has a FWire input though and several USB2's

As to the videos on VHS/PAL I only have a standard JVC video to play them back now. I can play them through the computer Hauppauge Win TV 2000 TV card. Is this any good for capturing or is it better to get different software?

Cheers

Jimerlin.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if your Camcorder uses a USB Interface then I would check with your Instructions that came with the Camcorder to see how to go about transfering the to your PC....With firewire you Just Plug the Camcorder into the PC and the PC will automaticly recognize it But I do not know if it works the same with a USB camcorder... There might even be Capture software that Came with your Camcorder or that Can be downloaded at the Manufacturers web site.....

I just did a Quick Search on the Net for Info on your Camcorder and from what I have found Your Camcoder "Does" Have a Firewire "AND" Usb 2.0...The USB And Firewire Ports are Right under the LCD Screen so you do have a Firewire Port on your Camcorder you Just haven"t found it yet....

Your Camcorder also has Analogue/Digital Passthrough Inputs so you Can Run your VCR into the Camcorder which will convert the Analogue Signal to Digital DV and either record it to DV Tape or Transfer it to your Hard Drive...This should produce much better quality than your Win TV Card....

So I suggest that you have another Look at your Camcorder and Find the Firewire Port and then capture useing the Software I allready Mentioned...(The USB Port is For Transfering Pictures and Mpeg-1 Video Captured in Movie Mode and Not For Transfering the DV Video recorded to DV Tape)

If you want to see were I read the Information about your Camcorder which Might help you Find your Firewire Port then go here:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/jvc-gr-dv4000-camcorder-review.htm

Cheers

6. Jimerlin

Jimerlin Member

Hello Minion:

Yes I had seen it there but it is labeled DV so I assumed it was something else and ignored it. Anyway I got a firewire cable and connected it up and after a few hours realised that the computers forewire input was a phantom, there was no connection to the motherboard, whilst I am waiting for this to be sorted I installed for USB2 and finally we got it working, it now inputs video from the DV tape and stills from the SD card.

We installed the software that came with the videocam, it's Pixela Corporation ImageMixer for the streaming and they say it will edit and write to DVD/CD, so far I have only got it inputting and playing back, I have to get the editor sorted now.

What is the advantage of using firewire over USB2, I was told that USB2 is faster or is it not a case of speed. I found that there is a faster firewire card out 800Mbs [unless it's a missprint] £90 odd though.

Am I right in assuming that the firewire route would give better quality than the USB2 one as set up now?

I'm looking at these firewire cards now as there may not be one on my motherboard, I'm going to have to find the data on it first though.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheeres Jimerlin

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Firewire Port was Originally developed for Transfering DV From camcorders to Your hard Drive so any Generic DV Capture Program will only recognize Video Transfered through a Firewire Port....

Transfering DV to your Hard Drive only uses about 10mb Per sec which is no were near the Total Bandwidth for Firewire or USB 2.0 for that Matter...
    The Firewire Card I have I picked up for $2.50 on e-Bay and I paid more than that to get it shipped to me, I"m sure you can Find a simular Deal....

So the Advantage of useing Firewire over USB 2.0 is Compatibility with other Capture programs...When doing Native DV Capture the Video on your DV Tape is Directly Transfered to your Hard Drive so there is No quality Loss when Transfering DV to your PC and I suppose it would be the same when Captureing DV Through your USB port....

8. Jimerlin

Jimerlin Member

Minion.

There is a problem connecting to the firewire, I can upload the JVC video easily using the USB, then I had to hot change to the FW and it was ok, after a few times though this would not work, it said cant find device on the FW whilst it was quite happy on the USB. The programe I am dumping into is ImageMixer with VCD 1.1 as supplied with he camera.

I have loaded up WinDV but it cant find the JVC either [FW]

The driver asked for is loaded.

I'm looking around trying to find a solution but have you any ideas on this one please?

I bought a new FW card and it came with some software, this gave a lot of trouble as well.

Thanks.

Jimerlin.

9. Jimerlin

Jimerlin Member

Minion:

Sorry to have been so long. Trouble with the m/c had to reload.

I looked around and found Video Edit Magic and downloaded the trial copy, FW still wont work but USB 2 is fine so I will stick with this until the other is sorted.

DV downloads from the camera fine, now I have to sort out how to cut out the bits I dont want.

Will update you again. Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Jimerlin.

10. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The simplest capture/editor for DV, is Windows Movie Maker.
    Capture, edit, save as DV-AVI, then encode, author, burn.