1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vhs tape to dvd's

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by JRL, Feb 19, 2005.

1. JRL

JRL Member

I am totally lost! I have ATI Mulimedia with 9200 capture card and TV Wonder pro. I can played them and record them to Windows movies but I can't transfer them to a dvd. How do I record them to a MPG format? So what am I doing wrong?

2. jonboy766

jonboy766 Guest

Hi, I'm no expert and am having similar problem to you. I had to alter settings in my tv card to record mpg files, it worked and now records vhs to mpeg2, dont know if your problem is that simple. Sadly stuck again as I cannot now burn onto dvd in such a way as to playback on dvd player.

3. pfh

pfh Guest

If you have a captured file that is mpeg2 dvd spec then all you'd have to do is run that file thru a dvd authoring program to compile a "burnable" folder that would contain the proper dvd files- an empty audio_ts folder and a video_ts folder containing the recorded material. The audio folder is always empty since it's use is really for dvd audio and not to be confused with the audio that's in the video. We will someday (maybe) see dvd audio replace our present cd audio formats but that's another issue.
    I think by default the ATI cards capture to AVI. There are programs that will convert that AVI file to mpeg as well. Read thru the guides and glossary to familiarize yourself with dvd specs and authoring. It's a bit overwhelming at first but hang in there.

4. dazzyb

dazzyb Member

try nero to convert from avi to mpeg2..it worked for me..and quality is as good as the original

5. JimPanse

JimPanse Member

Avi or mpg to dvd is quite easy with DivXToDVD from
    http://www.vso-software.fr/
    it's freeware and converts 95% of all avi's. If the framerate is wrong it doesn't work. Afterwords - burn with Nero, Easy DVD-creator or similar progs. Or you might use DVD-shrink with the option of compressing before burning. 2 movies on one disc.