1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS Tapes to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by eddieb, Oct 27, 2003.

1. xmaswish

xmaswish Member

Thankyou Minion

I've tried ive tried the MPEG DVD FORMAT before its worse than capturing with HUFFYUV for me and same problem occurs

I guess it must be the VHS TAPES thats the problem they are old any how.

One last thing do know if its possible to add music to the menu with TMPGEnc DVD AUTHOR because i've not found a way and like sound on the DVD menu.

Thankyou once again Minion.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

No, I don"t think you can add Music to menu"s in Tmpgenc DVD Author...

Maybe Try useing "MediaChance DVDLab (Pro)" as it will let you add Music to Menu"s and it will even let you use Video Clips as Menu"s and add your Own Butons to the Menu"s and it can do So Much more..

You can Create a DVD as Complex or as Simple as you want with it and that is why I believe it is one of the Best DVD authoring Program on the Market...

You can download a 30 Day trial....

Cheers

3. xmaswish

xmaswish Member

Thankyou Minion Excellent :)

4. goochee

goochee Guest

Hi,
    I have some VHS tapes that are recoreded in PLA or SECOM. I want to transfer them to my computer and convert them to STNC. Right now, I am unable to watch them using my vcr. Any idea? I am grateful for your help.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

I"m sorry to hear about your Dislexia.....

Well if your VCR can not Play the Pal/Secam Tapes how do you expect to be able to transfer the Video to your PC ?

You will need to have a VCR that Can Play Pal/Secam VHS Tapes and then you Can conect the VCR to your Capture device and record the Video to your PC in Pal resolution/Frame Rate and then use an encoder to convert them to NTSC.....

Cheers

6. goochee

goochee Guest

Thanks for the advise.

7. xmaswish

xmaswish Member

I wonder if anyone can help.

I capture my vhs tapes through nero vision express with the video codec huffyuv and audio compression pcm

I have a small hard drive and normally capture to my small drive having to stop and and encode each file stopping maybe 5 times and doing this for a tape lasting 2 hours long and everything comes out fine.

I just bought a (250gb Western Digital External Hard Drive)so that i can capture to the external drive as one big file instead of stopping and encoding.
    My problem is that when i try to capture as usual but this time to my external drive it wont work with huffyuv but works with all the other codecs but they are poor quality even my DVD format MPEG capture comes out poor quality.

But if i try to capture with the software my capture card came with it wont capture with input format RGB24 nor will it accept the codec huffyuv.I also tried using virtual dub i dont think its the easiest program to use but under device i highlight my capture card put the tuner onto the channel my signal, under video i select video source n highlight video tuner i also configure the audio but this time i dont even get a picture or any sound with virtual dub

i'd rather use nero vision express as it seems so easy but dont understand why huffyuv will not work when i try to capture to the external drive.

any idea's?

Thankyou.

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

What do you Mean By "It Won"t Work"?? What Happens when you Try to record useing HuffYUV???

Have you Formated the Drive before useing it??

You Probably Can"t Capture useing HuffYUV to an external USB Drive anyways because you will Drop LOTS Of Frames because USB Drives are Pretty Slow and Probably not Fast enough to Write that Much data to the Hard Drive without Dropping Frames.....

Why didn"t you Just get a Regular IDE Hard Drive?? They are Much Faster than USB Drives and a Lot easier to use....

Cheers

9. xmaswish

xmaswish Member

When i use huffyuv it says something about file not reconized but works with other codecs only using other codecs dont line mouth movement up with words spoken on the footage.

i had a few settings wrong in virtual dub i now configured them i didnt use the tuner correctly. using virtualdub, my external drive will accept huffyuv but after encoding with TMPGEnc the file doesnt stream play i think this is down to my settings in virtualdub im not sure maybe the frames per second its 1.000 but i thought it must be 25 fps when i change it the picture and sound dissapear im alittle lost with virtualdub i think its a good program and this problem would be sorted if i new how to use it i put it through direct steam also its still the same

maybe i should go back to what i was doing before and use this for storage

i purchased this external drive because i havn't a clue how to install an IDE drive it might sound stupid but im not clever with anything like that

also i looked for help with virtualdub but i dont think its explained too well its abit too technically written for my likes

Thankyou Minion if you can help i do apprechiate it.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well it is Extremely easy to Install a IDE HD...All you Do is Connect the IDE Cable to it and Plug in the Power and that Is Pretty Much it...I"m also sure you Have a Friend that Can at least Install a Drive??

Good luck

11. xmaswish

xmaswish Member

I did have a friend who could do this but hes just moved away

until i get the money i'll just have to put up with my problem

thankyou minion.

12. 2High2Fly

2High2Fly Member

I have a question . . . . .

I'd like to capture video from a VHS(VCR) tape to my computer
    and then burn it to DVD. But I'm trying to figure out what
    accessories I need to do this. Of course I have the VCR & PC.
    But I need to know what exact cables I need to run from the VCR
    to my video card. I know that I need some type of S Video cable.
    But I have yet to find one that has RCA jacks on the other end.

I'd appreciate any help on this matter.
    And if at all possible, speak simple english, I'm a NEWB at
    this sorta thing :D

Thanks !

13. Greg.M

Greg.M Member

14. samintx

samintx Regular member

2High2Fly....you didn't say if these where home movies, none copy protected??? Assuming they are the best, easiest and cost wise about even with Canopus cabling...is a Toshiba dual VCR/DVD recorder. It dubs so easily. Just pop the Video in and hit a button and there you are!

I have used Canopus to computer to DVD and it is a hassle IMO. There are other devises like this but opt for the easy and best IMO fidelity of the picture....Go with a stand alone Recorder.

15. 2High2Fly

2High2Fly Member

They are VHS videos recorded at party's ect.
    And I don't nessesarily want the entire footage just parts
    of it, that's kinda why I want to do it through the computer . . .

16. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

You will not find a S cable with RCA jacks on the other end, if you think about it it does not make sense to downgrade video. The whole idea is to maintain the quality of the video in the first place. So to go from S to RCA is not logical, thus no such cable that I know of. You can actuall hook up your VHS to your camcorder and hook the camcorder to the computer via I1394 firewire. This is one option you have. The other option is to purchase a PCI card that can take your VHS input, there are many such cards available, but the more expensive ones (I believe made by Hauppauge) do the encoding in the input stage so your processor is not taxed. Te 3rd message is the VHS/DVD recorder which are probably more convenient, but if you had to edit the movie then I guess you would have to load back to your computer and then edit and reburn onto DVD.

17. ricoc

ricoc Member

2High2Fly:

I needed to do the same as you last week. This is what I did.

I bought this video capture card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815100120 for $25.00. Since I'm not a videophile or an audiophiles. It was perfect. I wanted to copy old VHS tapes of my wedding and childhood.

Install the card into your computer.
    Install the drivers from the manufacturer CD.
    Download codecs for mpeg4 from microsof for use in XP.

Download freevcr (google it) and use it instead of the application included with the video capture card.

Connect the S video out from your VHS recorder to the S video input on the card. You can use composite connections if you like. The card has the cables too! Connect the RCA audio left and right from the VHS recorder to your input in your sound card. Look for a LINE IN minijack in your soundcard or alternative use the microphone minijack on your sound card. You will need to buy this cable. It is called a Mini To RCA Audio cable. Its about 5 bucks at Radio Shack. this cable will transfer the sound from the VCR to the PC.

While the instructions that come with the card are not the best it does help so make sure you read it.

Setup freevcr to use the mpeg 4 codec you downloaded and it will save you lots of space in your harddrive.

Read all you can about the best way to encode the signal that you are transferring to your PC, which is how I came upon your question.

Later use another application to burn your video files in mpeg4 from your PC to a DVD using your DVD burner. There are guides here at afterdawn that will instruct you how to do that. Consider that most DVD burners come with free lite version of DVD authoring tools. You can also use Windows moviemaker application in windows XP.

good luck...

18. 2High2Fly

2High2Fly Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  19. stevedvd

stevedvd Member

WOW, this has been a real intensive read! Why does'nt anybody these days think of other simple alternatives. I had "tunnel" vision when it comes to computers but have found a good way to get vhs tapes to DVD in "REAL-TIME". A DVD recorder will do this for you without to much fuss. It has a "super MPEG processor" inbuilt for excellent resolution and colour.
    Once you've got this to a DVD its as easy as "breathing" to get it to your computer hard drive via a RW disk or another dvd disk and edit it if you like! Disks are fairly cheap and you always will have a back-up copy in high resolution digital.

These units are well worth the dollars but go for one with a 160 GB hard drive on board and "you can kick some serious monk ass"! under new management without the anger associated with computer speed! LOL.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  20. gslrider

gslrider Member

I would have to agree. That is what someone had originally suggested to me earlier in this post. But I decided to go the VHS to Digital by way of an analog to DV converter. And although importing this into FCP is less taxing (batch capturing). It does take longer, and the quality, isn't as good as importing a converted .m2v with AC3 audio from a DVD recorded from a DVD recorder.

Now I have a Sony SLV-R5U S-VHS deck and an ADS PYRO A/V Link Firewire I probably won't be using much anymore. Should've gone the DVD recorder route first.