1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vhs to divx, help!

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by alexzz, May 27, 2004.

1. alexzz

alexzz Member

Hi, I'm new in this forum, writing from Spain! I hope you can help me, and sorry if I am repeating the thread (I've been reading a lot, believe me)

I have a new PC (512MB Ram, 1GB cache, 180 GB HD, 7200 rpm) and would like to transfer my old and crappy vhs to divx, in order to go p2p and share them all over the world, and also to watch them on my TV with a Rimax player.

I think I don't need to edit anything but I am afraid the movies are in a very bad condition (4th grade generation copies and so). I just want to preserve them as they are, no need of super-quality.

Do you recomend capturing on avi? or is it a waste of time and space considering the final format is divx?

I would appreciate some basic help on the complete proccess. Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well If your PC is fast enough which yours probably is you can capture directly to DivX AVI with pretty much any AVI capture program and a TV Card as Long as you have the DivX Codec installed...The quality will not be that great but then again from old VHS tapes the quality will suck anyways....
    You could Capture to AVI useing the HuffYUV codec(lossless) and then use some Filters to clean up the Image and then encode those file to DiVx which would produce better quality but would take a Lot longer and take up much More disk space cuz captureing useing the HuffYUV Codec can take up as Much as 30gb per hour but the Quality is very good and after encodeing the File to DivX you can delete the Big file....
    depending on what type of Capture device you have you might be able to do the captureing and the Filtering and re-encodeing all with one free program called "Virtual-Dub" which can be downloaded here..

Virtual-Dub-Mpeg2
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

3. alexzz

alexzz Member

Thanks Minion! You are the one!
    I think I'm going to try to capture directly to Divx AVI if my PC is fast enough (I hope so) because the quality of my vhs is really poor.

You think I don't need a great capture devide, then? I think AverTV by Avermedia is what they offered me. Is that ok with the VirtualDub?

4. kev1315

kev1315 Member

I would suggest a hardware capture card and Dr Divx. Dr Divx will pick up that you have a card installed and make the creation of DIVX files so much easier. It is one piece of software that does it all.