1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to dvd How does a capture card work

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bballjer, Mar 6, 2005.

1. bballjer

bballjer Member

I want to copy my VHS collection to dvd. I have sony burner and Nero. I can't find out how a capture card handles audio. Is the audio and video in one file so they sync up perfectly, or do you have to capture audio and video in seperate files and sync them youself?
    If this is the case I'm thinking of a standalone DVD recorder. I can't even get Pinancle to explain how the capturing works. They recommend 5 of their products but no explanation.
    Is there any quality issues between a computer transfer vs a standalone unit?

2. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

No the audio is a seperate cable. 1/8 mini jack plug to rca left and right. So you need to go audio out vcr ot your sound card input(Line IN). Unless your using a camcorder which works via firewire it handles audio and vidio. If these are bought vcr tapes they probally going to have macrovision protection. Most all vcr have a macrovision chip built in unit. Not going to get into overcoming macrovision encryption Google it.

Good Luck

Spacedust..

3. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

bballjer,

You should be aware that most capture card software saves the captured video into a MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format. From this file you will need to convert it into a DVD compatable format. All video authoring software packages will do this and perhaps some shareware tools.