1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD... NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bowers32, Nov 21, 2001.

1. bowers32

bowers32 Member

I just bought the USB Instant DVD equipment. It allows you to transfer VHS to your computer (in the form of MPEG files) so that you can burn down to a DVD. IT comes with Ulead Video software for editing the mpeg file. It is hard as hell to work.

are there other softwares that will do the same thing??

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. piiti

piiti Member

i dont know, what Ur problem is... U want to edit the movie? its really a hard thing, on a 350Mhz computer, like my little baby.

but.. for compression and such tasks i use VirtualDub. since a CD-R is half the price than a VHS-Tape, its very common these days..

download the Mpeg codecs and than U can use the shareware editors.

Premier is a good soft.. on a high end machine.. it told me, that the full rendered movie's ETA: 4 days..

on macintosh, we used the Quicktime Player (Full, Proffesional vers. (its the same as the free player, but if U have the pass.. ;) )
    there U can manipulate, cut the movie etc, then it saves the file a: indexed (original movie+index) b: self contained.

sorry , i cant recommend any other softs..
    look for some sharewares HERE, or on the divx.com site.

happy encoding!

3. madison71

madison71 Guest

i was wondering if you could help me with any information you have on converting vhs tapes to dvd's thanks i amjust trying to get started

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Easiest method to convert VHS tapes to DVD or VideoCDs (there's really not that much point in creating VHS->DVD, because VHS quality isn't exactly matching with DVD, but more likely with VideoCD) is this:

-get enough free HDD space (10-20gigs is ok, costs like $30-50 nowadays if even less)
    -get a video capture card -- this is MUST. Hauppauge, Matrox Marvel, etc..
    -DON'T USE ANY LOSSY COMPRESSION (mpeg-1, mpeg-2, divx, etc) WHEN YOU CAPTURE FROM VHS!
    -encode the raw-data AVI into MPEG-1 (VideoCD) or MPEG-2 (SuperVCD or DVD) format using TMPGEnc
    -if you really want to do real DVD-R, buy DVD writer ($300-500) and use some authoring software to create DVD-Video disc out of the MPEG-2 files you just encoded and burn the disc
    -...or if you want to create VCD or SVCD disc, simply use some CD writing software like Ahead's Nero to burn VCD or SVCD compatible CD (these play with regular stand-alone DVD players as well)

...for information about capturing, read this:

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/musicvideo_guide_part_1_capture.cfm

5. dragoon50

dragoon50 Guest

re: bowers32
    i have the same equipment, and i'm giving up!.
    it's a horror show. the whole process is absurdly long (several hours minimum) before you even get to the point of burning a cd.
    it would take me the rest of my life and beyond just to convert half my vhs library!.
    maybe oneday, someone will provide high-speed software or process to accomplish vhs to dvd copies, but until that time, it's a waste of time not to mention money investing in hardware such as USB instant dvd.

6. XBYTE

XBYTE Guest

I have Dazzle Video Creator II and it works great!! I have the VCR connected to my Dazzle video creator II and record it using there standers MovieStar software in DVD format mpeg2. Works great every time.

7. Dralion

Dralion Member

I'm so glad I found this site - I have a bunch of VHS tapes that I want to convert to VCD (forget DVD, the tapes are already poor quality) and I don't know the first thing about getting started. I just bought a new computer with an Athlon processor, Windows XP, two USB hook ups and a VCD/CD/DVD/CD-R burner. I have a ton of hard drive space, too. So I figure my computer can do it - but what extra software do I need, and can you recommend anything that is layman-friendly?
    Thanks!
    D

8. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Dralion: You need to have a video card with TV (or S-Video or RGB) input, otherwise no-go.

If you have it, read article about musicvid capturing from our article section ( http://www.afterdawn.com/articles ), it applies to all capturing.

9. Chevy

Chevy Member

XBYTE or anyone please, I am very interested in archiving my VHS tapes to DVD-R. Can you tell me if Dazzle Digital Video Creator II is suitable for doing this? Or is there another card/software more suitable? I have a very fast machine with loads of hard drive space available. Thanks for any info you can give me!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2002
  10. snitch_uk

snitch_uk Member

chevy, i wos in the same boat as you i wanted to create dvd-r's from my old vhs tapes, i know theres no comparison in quality, but if you are like me and have a lot of memories on vhs the best way to save them is to dvd. So i looked at various mpeg capture cards and even though it was a bit expensive i opted for the canopus mvr-1000 and i havent been disapointed it captures in realtime mpeg2 and i use spruce up dvd authoring software.You have the start a fast pc with loads of space cos as you know mpeg2 files are huge,so all you need to do is pick a capture card, if money isnt a problem i can recomend the mvr-1000, hope