1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD or DVD to DVD Need Help

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by hbcmarla, Jan 17, 2006.

1. hbcmarla

hbcmarla Member

I am very new to this and my boyfriend not only has a bunch of vhs home videos but has a lot of vhs copyrighted movies & dvd copyrighted movies that he would like to have backup copies of. I am attempting to buy him something to help him with this conversion for his upcoming bday. We already have a normal dvd player & he has like a whol stereo system/receiver thing he has hooked everything up through. So mine is a 2 part question: A. Which 1 out of the following would be the best quality dvd recorder/vcr combo unit...
    RCA DRC8310N, Sony RDR-VX515, Panasonic DMR-ES40VS, Pioneer DVR-233-S or Emerson EWR20V5? and B. What additional device do I need to do this this with the tv/dvd/dvd recorder with vcr all hooked up together?

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

[ hbcmarla ]

[Wrote]
    but has a lot of vhs copyrighted movies & dvd copyrighted movies that he would like to have backup copies of.

A - None will do the above. As to quality I would not purchase a VCR/DVD Combo unit for recording as you want, especially the Sony.
    B - You can purchase many "box's" that say they can eliminate CP. In my opinion They just cost money and do not do a complete job especially on DVD

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  3. hbcmarla

hbcmarla Member

Yes thank you I am aware that none of them will do this as a stand alone. I have also been reading a lot of the forums and they talk about things that they connect to the recorder somehow to make it so he can transfer the bulk of his copyrighted vhs movies over to a dvd's so he doesn't have to go out an rebuy all of them. Some product under the name Sima possibly?????

4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

What you are talking about is this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1111286&Sku=S120-2008&SRCCODE=WEBGOOAUT&CMP=KNC-GOOGL
    I have read mixed reactions about this product ... some good and some not so ... I think that a lot has to do with the source machine and the recorder ... 
    Probably the best way to accomplish this would be to buy a TV capture card, a decrypting program that runs in the background (AnyDVD is awesome) and a PC DVD burner ...

The way I transferred all of my copyrighted VHS tapes was by using a VCR and recording them with a LiteOn LVW-5005 set top recorder ... I know that there are lots of Macrovision hacks available for the LiteOn, but I'm not sure if they apply to the newer units ...

2 LiteOn websites is below and you may want to check on the possibility of hacking a newer unit (they're relatively cheap at about $130)
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/buyerguides/dvdrecorders/liteontips.htm

... you really need to use a PC to do this because any other method will lose all menu functions, etc... A DVD burner for a PC along with programs such as DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (both free) are needed for this task ...

Any other questions/clarifications needed ... PM me or repost

•Victor•

5. NeilJ

NeilJ Guest

Hi

check this link out

http://www.dimax.com.ua/common/default.shtml

this works perfectly getting rid of all macrovision from your VHS so you can put it onto DVD. It is easy to use as it goes inline between the two units instea of a scart lead

hope this helps

Neil

6. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

[hbcmarla ]

You said DVD to DVD and a black box will not do this > a black box will not even do a good job on a VHS tape
    Good Luck

PS --- There are newer units that will do this

7. hbcmarla

hbcmarla Member

Neil, Ok so the DVD Red Pro looks like it will work for what I am trying to do. Has anyone else used this product with good results? I looked at the website for the item & it would work with one or more of the dvd recorder/vhs units that I am looking at. I have to make sure that it would work with my other stand alone dvd player I already have at home though as well, right? It says the red pro is unconditionally guaranteed so if it does not do what I need it to do I can return it. Also it does not touch the original video signal. It only removes protection constituents.

LCSHG, What is a black box (they dvd recorder/vhs unit?). The 2nd part of my question had to do with what device I could attach to do what I needed to do. The dvd recorder/vhs unit will not do it alone, I know that. I have not seen any dvd recorder nor dvd recorder/vhs unit that claims to eliminate CP.

8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

You do NOT want to use a combination VHS/DVD unit ... period

There is no way that a combo ubit will accomplish what you need to do ..

And ... if you use a DVD player, run it through a Macrovision defeater, then record it with a DVD recorder ... well, believe me, all you will get is the equilevent of what you'd get with a VHS tape ... simply a copy that has no menu functions whatsoever ... I tried this method and I got PO'd with the results and yossed the discs out ... Then I did it the correct way with my PC

By the way ... this 'CP' (copy protection) that you speak of is really 'MV' (Macrivision) ...

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Now ... after further study ... the absolute BEST way to accomplish what you wish to help your boyfriend do is: (and I'm assuming that he has a computer)

1- get a PC DVD burner, this is a good one for a good price .. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106014

2- get a TV capture card such as the WinTV PVR250 which is a good unit reasonably priced .. http://pricingcentral.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/masterid=581240/id_type=masterid

3- download DVD Shrink from this site (AD) and do a Google search for DVD Decrypter (or PM me, I'll give you a link) .. these are both free programs.

4- You will also need a program such as Any DVD ($39) or DVD43 (free, once again Google it) This will act as a Macrovision buster for your tapes (and yes, DVDs too)

I believe that this is the best and the least expensive way to do what you need to get done ...

10. siddog66

siddog66 Member

catfreak,
    I too am trying to convert vhs to dvd. What I am wondering is, can you plug your vcr into this video capture card? I have a pc with a dvd burner. Is this easier or better than trying to do it with a stand alone dvd recorder? I have been reading posts for a day or two and only get more confused. I purchased an ilo dvr05 from walmart and after reading all the bad reviews, I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Any info would be appreciated.

11. NeilJ

NeilJ Guest

Catfreak is right, forget about the DVD/VHS combo's as they are neither use nor ornament. I have a DVD recorder with a seperate VHS player and seperate DVD player sat above. I use the Red Pro either from the DVD player or the VHS player. This will only get rid of macrovision and so you will not be able to run a dual layer DVD from a seperate player and expect to copy it to another disc, you will do this much better with a computer as you need to get rid of all the other copy protection which AnyDVD is fantastic for.

My DVD Recorder will put in as many chapters etc as my computer will, depending on source. The Red Pro is ideally suited for VHS to DVD and will work flawlessly

12. catfreak

catfreak Active member

@ siddog66

... and I quote from the WinTV product description at a link I provided in a previous post ...  
    The WinTV PVR350 also includes a Tv out ... so you can hook up a Tv to your PC for an even larger picture ...

13. catfreak

catfreak Active member

14. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

[ hbcmarla ]

WPOTE;
    LCSHG, What is a black box (they dvd recorder/vhs unit?). The 2nd part of my question had to do with what device I could attach to do what I needed to do. The dvd recorder/vhs unit will not do it alone, I know that. I have not seen any dvd recorder nor dvd recorder/vhs unit that claims to eliminate CP.

Black Box is just a generic term for the devices that claim they will eliminate CP.
    As far as I know there is no Combo unit that will defeat CP. There are DVD units [at present] that can.
    No mfg. would claim this. You need to look further
    Be aware There are more forms of CP than the older MV on VHS tapes.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  15. catfreak

catfreak Active member

The hacks to defeat 'copy protection' with DVD players and recorders are referred to as 'Macrovision Hacks' regardless of what form they are ...

My Philips DVP642 has been hacked so that I didn't have to hack my DVD recorders ... But, unless you don't mind an imperfect copy, you need to use a computer to copy DVDs ...

I have copied COUNTLESS VHS tapes for family and friends. and 'backed up' over 1000 DVDs ... I outlined the best and easiest ways to accomplish what you need to do ... hbcmarla

A family member tried using a 'black box' that he paid over $100 for and, guess what? I ended up doing all of his backups for him ... what a waste of money!

At this time, the only DVD recorder that has any on-line hacking support is the LiteOn LVW-5005 ... I have 2 of these units, so I know them quite well ... the newer ones are not hackable with the firmware that they come with ... you need to flash them with older firmware (which makes compatability with some of the 8 and 16x media an issue) then you need to hack the firmware which voids any warranty that the machine comes with ... which is why I hacked my player ... and the Philips hack will not work on the newer units, period.

I have several years of experience in doing EXACTLY what this thread is about, and if the boyfriend already has a PC ... get a capture card ($50) get a DVD burner for a PC ($50) download DVD43 (free) or AnyDVD (better than DVD43, but it's $39)

This is the ONLY way to do this unless you want to listen to your boyfriend complain about the results ...

16. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

I just use the program with my tv tuner card and it works killer for CP on any VHS and then burn it with nero.I wouldn't recommend a vhs combo unit unless your recording a family movie.

17. catfreak

catfreak Active member

exactly .. If you don't want to spend money on Nero, you can use DVD Decrypter or IMGBurn which are free ...

18. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

This thread seems to have turned into a argumentative personal debate A question was asked and some posted their opinion Thats what I thought these forms were about.
    I have also dubbed over 1000 when a PC use is included.
    I used to use the PC and for some work it can't be beat, but can have it's own problems.
    The use of a standalone unit is by far an easer way to go, and I should like to take the oportunity to thank those, that showed me the way in this direction. Thay also used a PC,

"QUOTE"
    At this time, the only DVD recorder that has any on-line hacking support is the LiteOn LVW-5005 ...
    ------
    [ This is NOT TRUE ] The 5005 is a good machine but not the only one out there. The LiteOn LVW 5045 or the ilo RHD04 would be a better choice
    -----------------------------------------------

"QUOTE"
    the newer ones are not hackable with the firmware that they come with ... you need to flash them with older firmware (which makes compatability with some of the 8 and 16x media an issue) then you need to hack the firmware which voids any warranty that the machine comes with .which is why I hacked my player ...
    ---------

First part; TRUE for some machines but many report there is no problem using the previous firmware It seems the only reason for the newer firmware is to make the machine un-hackable.

Second part; I have two Machines with HDD and two with-out HDD have never had any problems with the new media using Old or New Firmware eand I have gone back and forth with firmware.

Third part; I have found that an issue of the firmware is mute as you can always go back to a un-hacked ver.

Fourth part; You hacked it WHY?
    --------------------------------------------------

The PC is OK but I and others wouldn't go back unless forced to. This
    One reason for the HDD and the editing avail.
    If you do go this route, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are two of the best programs and are free This site has been forced to deleate them but they are avail. If not aready you should read up on there use And the use of a PC

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  19. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

Basically what this lady needs is a lite-on player with a firmware hack for MV or a compostie box that has no warning cocerning MV or any capture card that doesn't have a MV warning.I haven't seen any hacks for any other dvd combo unit other than lite-on.Of course that may have changed.But I have a panasonic dvd combo recorder and it cannot record comercial tapes even if I put tape on the end to make it think is a different kind of tape it still won't work.My friend gave me this player and he paid $300 dollars for it and I just hook it up to my computer with a capture card and it work better that way.My tv card is less than $50 and the manual has nothing in concerning MV that's why I bought it.

20. siddog66

siddog66 Member

peanuts2
    What kind a capture card do you have?