1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD - video's short and fat

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by epiphany, Sep 26, 2003.

1. epiphany

epiphany Member

I transfered some home movies from VHS to DVD using AverTVStudio tuner card and EZCD creator (to burn to the DVD). I did them at 640 x 480 resolution. They worked fine on my PC, but when my son tried them on his (he's in another state), the videos were short and fat--making the people in them look like they're 4 feet tall and weigh 500 lbs.

What did I do wrong? Or, does his PC resolution need to be set the same as mine (1024 x 728) to view them correctly?

thanks

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I would guess his resolution is not set correctly on his own computer. You cna get 1280x768 and 1280x1024. One of those will look screwed up for certain movies and the other wont. The latter is the etter option for 4:3 screens as the first is really a resolution for widescreen. My guess is your son has selected the wrong resolution to view things on his computer.

3. epiphany

epiphany Member

Thanks...he's supposed to give that a try this weekend and get back to me if changing his resolution works. I'd hate to find out that the 3 dozen VHS tapes I've already transferred to discs are only viewable (correctly) on this one machine that I happen to now have.

epi

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I cant see how it wouldnt work to be honest.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you were trying to Make a Real DVD then you can not use the 640+480 resolution, this is Not a Compliant DVD Resolution...NTSC DVD"s have to be either 720+480(Full D1) or 704+480(Broadcast D1) or 352+480(Half D1) or 352+240(SIF)...These are the Only valid Resolutions for NTSC DVD...This still doesn"t explain why they do not play Correctly on His PC as 640+480(1:33.7) is allmost exacly 4:3 aspect ratio(1:33.1)...It could be what he is useing to Play the File on his PC as Media Player does not Play Mpeg or DVD files in there True aspect ratio, he should be useing DVD Playing software like WinDVD or PowerDVD....Cheers

6. epiphany

epiphany Member

they weren't *real* DVD's, they were just video files copied to DVD's cuz they were so big. i capture them using AverTV Studio...capture them to my hard drive, then when I get several captures, burn them to the DVD. I have been using Windows Media Player to view them, and it worked okay (for me).

7. venprods

venprods Member

The display on pc monitor and NTSC TV is different. It looked good on the pc monitor won't look good on TV. It must be DVD compliant as Minion posted.

8. epiphany

epiphany Member

He's not viewing them on a TV...he is trying to view them on his PC monitor as well.