1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to External HD (for archival purpose)

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by dsg3889, Nov 25, 2007.

1. dsg3889

dsg3889 Member

I just bought a 500 GB External Hard Drive with the hope to put all of our home movies on. A few years ago, I had a grand plan to convert to my home movies to DVD but that proved to be a larger project than I wanted to get involved in. Anyway, I want to essentially capture our home movies on the hard drive preserving the best quality in its raw form (for potential editing and converting to dvd in the future).

I used Microsoft Movie Maker for my test and captured at High Quality Video Large 640x480 30 fps. When I played it back in full screen, the quality didn't appear to be as good as the VHS tape.

My questions are:

What format should I save these in (not sure wmv is the best format here)?

What is the simplest capture program to use?

Again, just looking to put these VHS tapes on a hard drive to prevent any further video deterioration from being on a VHS tape. A few years from now when I have some spare time, the thought is to perhaps edit down a "best of" home movie type thing (i.e. for college graduation, wedding, etc..)

Thanks for the help.

2. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Use a DVD recorder to capture. Use R/W disks and you can use the same disk over and over again. Or if you'd like additional backup use Verbatim or some other good DVD blank. I just got 50 Verbatim for $13 so that's not that expensive an option.

3. dsg3889

dsg3889 Member

Thanks. That seems to be the best option. Now I need to buy a stand alone DVD recorder. Any suggestions? Should I go for a combo VHS DVDR or a DVD R stand alone?