1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to PC Help...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by vexeh, Mar 8, 2005.

1. vexeh

vexeh Member

im a newbie to these forums and i couldnt spot a VHS section within this forum so i thought id post here, what it is, i have a s-video cable

all's i know is that i can plug it into my s-video slot in the back of my gfx card and there is a scart the other end and i can put that into my tv or video or sumthing but i want is i want to transfer or record or whatever my VHS over to my PC ? is that possible , i was watching The Gadget Show the other day and they sed it is possible with a regular svideo cable and a piece of software but i didnt catch the name of it so im stumped! so can somebody help me please all post thankful b4 hand!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Its only possible if your video card is a "video capture card" I am willing to bet that S video is a output and not a input.. Do happen to know the make and model number of your video card? If it's not a capture card you can buy one and put it in your system pretty easily, but if you arent comfortable with that you can go for an external USB type also (litle more expensive). A upgraded Video card can never hurt and if you get one with a TV tuner on it even better yet!! You can the recoard your favorite show's on your PC and edit and mess with them.. If you are not comfortable with any of that you could go for a Stand Alone DVD recorder and just record from VCR/Camcorder directly to that.. So you have many options, but lets see what video card you have first?

3. vexeh

vexeh Member

Tornado GeForce FX 5700 256mb

is that compatible ?!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Nope sorry to say :-( it's a great card just not a video capture card...
    I have this card and it works well http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-345&depa=0

But as mentioned before you can go with a USB external Device also. You can check out NewEgg.com they have a pretty good selection of both of these options and you can't beat there prices anywhere.. :)

5. vanhager

vanhager Member

I just bought VideoOh to transfer my vhs to dvd....I have a vcr with s-video out put that goes into the VideoOh, then into my usb....still playing around with it...theres a couple of different types of these things on the market.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

vanhager,
    You didn't mention it, but does it record the audio as well?

7. vanhager

vanhager Member

Oh yeah....sounds good too....now if I can just shrink the vob files to fit on a disc!!!

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

DVD Shrink!!!

9. vanhager

vanhager Member

BBMAYO...Tried shrink and the files dont show up...Any help you have would be great!!

Ripped 4 of the 5 vob files just to check out the quality and....Its pretty damn good if you ask me...VideoOh is worth the couple of bucks if you dont want to get a new video card!!

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

1. Open Shrink
    2. Click on re-author
    3. Browse for your files in the right window
    4. Drag them to the left window

:)

11. vanhager

vanhager Member

bbmayo..thats waht I did...they dont show up in the right window....

12. vanhager

vanhager Member

bbmayo..thats waht I did...they dont show up in the right window....

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What type and name of files are in your folder?

14. vanhager

vanhager Member

In the VIDEO_TS file I have:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    DEFAULT.PLS
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_01_5.VOB

I pulled the PLS file out cause it didnt look right, but nothing changed, so I put itback.....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

And you browsed to that folder (VIDEO_TS) in Shrink and didnt see anything???? Your not clicking open files are you?

Because everything you need is there unlees the files are currupt or something..

All that is going to show up in the right window would be "Title 1" that is your files

I'm also not sure what that Default.PLS file is doing there? You try moving that out of there and then see if you can see the title.. opps looks like ya just tried that... hmmmm

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  16. vanhager

vanhager Member

Yup....Just did it again, hit browse and nothing there...files are good cause I burned the first 4 to see how it would look and it plays fine....just cant get all 5 to fit on a disc...total about 5 gig...
    So it should actually say Title 1??? Nada....my it guy at work is going to give me a copy of nero tomorrow and I am going totry the recode and see if it works...any other ideas???

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah try downloading the trial version of CloneDVD2 from Slysoft and give that a shot. It can't hurt to try it who knows maybe it will read the files? It is very odd that Shrink wont?

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

There is also something else you could try.. Seems like double work but I know this would work..
    Use DivXtoDVD and run all the VOB files threw there. I know this will give you the correct files needed to open in Shrink.

If you need a little guide for that I have one at my website (link in sig) called "Convert AVI to DVD" even though you already have DVD files it will still work..

19. vanhager

vanhager Member

Cool...Thanks BB..I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know!!!

20. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

I am having a problem going from vhs to dvd also. The file is too large to fit on a standard disk. I have used video capture on my ATI tv wonder card. I end up with a file called composite(date), type of file is listed in the properties as ATI File player file. What can I do to shrink this down or change it into something usable in DVD Shrink since it does not show up there in the file list