1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to VCD recommendations?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by REnninga, Sep 4, 2004.

1. REnninga

REnninga Member

Hello fellow Afterdawnies. I have approximately 50 old T-120 VHS home movies and about 200 old VHS videos that I would like to transfer to VCD format (on 700MB CD-R discs). I plan to donate the VHS videos to a local impoverished small town community library for their general circulation collection.

Is there any easy-to-use-and-reliable software program out there that makes such transfers to CD-R VCD format easy? (Note: I have a SONY VAIO computer with a video capture device built in).

I will be grateful for any suggestions of what software to buy, and what to avoid, and what personal experiences you have had with your own VHS to VCD transfers. Thanks!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I would Not recomend you capture to VCD format....
    The VCD format is an extremely Low Quality format and is Not at all suited as a medium for Backing up VHS Tapes....
    VHS Captures are allready very Low Quality and putting them on VCD will make them unwatchable....

Backing them up to DVD is the Only way the Movies are going to Look even half way decent....

One of the Best Mpeg capture programs available is called "Intervideo WinDVR 3.0" it Can Capture directly to VCD/SVCD/DVD Mpeg formats so give it a shot and see what Captured VHS Tapes look Like as VCD"s when watching at Full screen, I"m sure you will aggree they look Pretty Bad.....

If you do not have a DVD Burner then you can Pick one up for as Low as $50 and the Blank DVD"s are as Cheap as .25c each.....

Good Luck