1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIA Chipset VT6421A and my new xbox360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by TWaRLoRD, Feb 7, 2007.

1. TWaRLoRD

TWaRLoRD Member

ok iv just bought a sata card so i can flash my samsung ms28 drive,
    however i have been reading thst i need to hexedit a mktflash to support my card. i have a 4 Port SATA+IDE PCI Controller Card VIA Chipset VT6421A if anyone could help me with this i would be very greatfull i have read sooo many guides and they all say something differant plz help

2. modster

modster Regular member

you will only have to use the hexedit to edit mktflash.exe only if it doesn't recognize your sata pci card.

try booting up first, if you get an error when running mktflash.exe, then you will need to use hex edit.

try that first, then let us know if you encounter the error. then we go from there.

baby steps..but we will get you up and running.

cheers

3. TWaRLoRD

TWaRLoRD Member

ok cheers for clearing that for me, iv orderd my pci sata card this morning so i wll get it in a few days. is there anything else i need (hardware or software) other than the sata card and a floppy drive?

4. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

dont use a floppy drive, if it fails it can brick the drive, use a usb flash drive, you can get one fairly cheap, you dont need a big one, i have a 256 but it holds WAY more than i need for flashing, i think it only takes a little over 1 megabyte

5. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Use floppies if your PC can't boot from USB. Just make sure you use a NEW floppy.

Once you get the card do this and you won't have any problems with the flash.. Outlined once again, maybe I need to make a M28 tutorial ;)

1. Obtain Xtreme Bootmaker
    2. You'll need to get the xtreme 5.2 firmware
    3. Open xtreme bootmaker and have it hex-edit the VIA 6241a card for you (make sure it's the ONLY PCI SATA card installed)
    4. Check both the m28 broke patch and the bad-flash boxes in Xtreme Bootmaker
    5. Have it format your floppy (USB stick)
    6. Turn off the PC
    7. Hook the DVD SATA cable from the 360 to the PRIMARY SATA slot on the 6241a.
    8. Power on the 360
    9. Power on the PC and boot to DOS with your bootdisk
    10. Type "mtkflash r /m /sata orig.bin" don't use the " "
    11. It'll ask you to select your drive and give you a list of options. The only one we need is "xtreme primary master"
    12. If you see xtreme primary master, Power off the 360
    13. Select xtreme primary master as your selection and count to 10
    14. Turn the 360 back on
    15. it SHOULD read the drive
    16. Power off the 360, unplug the SATA cable from the VIA and boot back into Windows
    17. Take your orig.bin file and open it in FW toolbox 3.0 and make sure a VALID key is inserted. If it is a key and not all FFFFF or 00000, then copy your orig.bin file from your bootdisk to the folder you extracted the xtreme 5.2 firmware to.
    19. Run the command "make xtreme firmware" inside the xtreme 5.2 folder
    20. Answer the questions. I used 5.2A (default speed all fast) and the next question which is what do you want your drive to report as. Answer " I want the M28 to report as a M28"
    21. take the x52x.bin file that "make xtreme firmware" makes and copy it back to your boot disk.
    22. Power down PC
    23. Repeat Steps 7-14 but instead of using step 10's "mtkflash r /m /sata orig.bin" use this one."mtkflash w /m /sata x52x.bin" and continue on to step 11.

6. TWaRLoRD

TWaRLoRD Member

ok, say i can boot to usb what if i used a 256meg flash card in a card reader would that work i have installed windows on to a 4gig flash card b4 so i know u can boot to it?

7. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

If your PC can boot from it, then try.

8. sourD

sourD Regular member

PS2Menace's post is right on the money. The latest version of xtreme bootmaker will create a hex edited mtkflash for you with ease. It will download some .net software that takes awhile but works great. If youve got the same card off ebay that I used xtreme bootmaker worked great. Stick the sata cable that came with it into the internal sata jack facing the front of the case and you should be flashing with ease. Good Luck!

9. TWaRLoRD

TWaRLoRD Member

thanx guys i have nothing but gratitude and applause for this site and its members thanxs a bunch ill report bak if i have any troubles

10. TWaRLoRD

TWaRLoRD Member

ok i got a usb flash drive from trusty ebay for 1p which was nice, ill use that to be safe