1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video and audio out of sequence please help!

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Sarah18, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Sarah18

Sarah18 Member

Hi,
    I hope this is the right forum for my problem.
    I'm using TV out card to capture video, but when ive saved it as media type after about 15 mins the sound and video go out of sequence. After 45 mins there is about a 1 sec delay. This is really bugging and am on the verge of chucking the computer out the window lol.....

Sarah x

2. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Hi Sarah18

[teases] If you're actually capturing video (to your computer), I would assume you instead have a line in port rather than TV out!

But anyways...

It's easier to assess the problem than the solution. What I think is going on is that you're *dropping frames* during capture; because no 'substitute' frames are added (meanwhile the audio, being easier to capture because of it's rather tame data stream, tends to be unaffected), the frames around the dropped frames 'squeeze together', but it's 'here and there', not very obvious visually, so the video appears to run smoothly. The net result: video starts to move ahead of the audio.

Part of my (and our-- I'm not the only person who will see your question) problem is not having enough info about the situation, like your computer specs, what brand of capture card you're using, what are your capture settings (frame rate, resolution, kbs or mbs per second)...we are (well definitely, I am) kinda 'shooting in the dark' here.

Help us (hopefully) help you?

3. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

4. Sarah18

Sarah18 Member

Thanks for the info......What im doing is capuring video from a video player into a TV card, a Lifeview fly TV Prime 30 card. Im running XP using a 1.2mhz processor is that enough information?
    Regards Sarah

Im sorry this may be on wrong forum, i will post there as well thanks.

5. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Oooh.. Sorry for the late reply, Sarah; I was multi-tasking and such (like, I'm getting married next month--but enough about me).

Okay, thinking I have the right card here (I'm jealous), below are the system requirements:

* Pentium III or AMD 600MHz or higher required, Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 2.4GHz recommended
    * 256MB of system memory (512MB recommended)
    * Windows 98 SE/ME/2000/XP
    * 100MB hard disk space required for installation, additional space required for recording and TimeShifting
    * Video card/chipset with DirectX 8.1 support
    * DirectX 9.0c or higher installed
    * Sound card/chipset for audio playback
    * Available PCI slot
    * Antenna/cable TV connection

I think it's safe to say you have the pci slot, tv (lol)..blah blah.. I'm really worried about whether or not you have the sufficient Ram and if you have a decent video card (geforce, ati, etc.) installed.

Up until now, you've probably done the standard things with your computer like play cd's, surf the net, type papers..maybe you have a dvd drive and can watch movies; a 1.2 ghz processor with like 128mb of system ram at least 8-16mb of video ram can handle all of that nicely. But now you're stepping up to video capture, which can be as taxing (or even more) than running a recent 3D video game.

While they don't specify the video card requirements, I'd recommend 64-128mb (you wouldn't need more of that unless you were video editing with dual monitors or doing hardcore 3D gaming). And if you have installed no more ram than from when the computer was bought (mine is 1.3 ghz, so it's probably about the same as mine was), I'm guessing you've probably have 128mb...which would fall short of the requirement.

If you can only afford one of the two upgrades, I'd recommend the system ram (memory stick) because that would boost your computer's performance overall--not just video stuff.

However, if money's too tight, another thing you can try is boosting your virtual ram, which requires manually allocating how much disk space you'll allot to improve performance; on the other hand, that's only cool if you have sufficient disk space for it. You can access this by right-clicking My Computer>Properties> and click the "Advanced" tab; look for "Performance" and click the "Settings" button, which will bring up "Performance Options"; select the "Advanced" tab there and click the "Change" button under virtual memory. Not knowing your hard drive space, I'll conservatively recommend a gig (1024mb).

6. Sarah18

Sarah18 Member

Hi,
    Thaks for the great reply, i never expected that!
    Right i have a 1.25 GHZ with 512 meg ram and a Radeon 9200 pro graphics card. Im sure all this should be good enough with your recommendations (hope i spelt that right lol) anyway ive changed the memory space to 2 gig as you said and i will do a test run to see what happens. Ive also just downloaded virtual dub from this site and am testing that out. It captures my video to avi straight away, im hoping that may also fix my problem.
    Will get back to you with my results.
    Good luck with the wedding, wish i had a computer expect as a hubby lol....

Sarah