1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video and audio out of synch

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by tdfuller, May 18, 2004.

1. tdfuller

tdfuller Member

FUGITIVE2 and MINION:

I have my Canopus ADVC-100 installed and running. So far it is great! I am right now using WinDV to capture a very long 3 hour video. I did a test segment and it captured perfectly.

I do have a question for you guys. On Win DV, what is the little check box for beside the "Capture" button? I cant find the answer in the limited docs.

Thanks again for the help from both of you!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Sorry but I don"t use WinDV so i can not tell you....

3. tdfuller

tdfuller Member

MINION:

You seem to be the brightest guy on these forums. I need your help. Can you recommend to me software to use just to capture the VHS video coming from my VCR through the Canopus ADVC100 to my laptop?

I have a good laptop, a Pentium M 1.4 GHZ with Centrino, 256 MB of RAM. The downer is that I have only about 28 GB free on a 40GB hard drive. I want to capture up to about 3 hours of video max. As you know, using something like WinDV to capture raw AVI is not feasible because it will take huge amounts of hard drive space that I do not have.

I have tested WinDVR 3.0, and I really like its simplicity and the ability to do minor tweaking to the MPEG format, however, the price to buy on the Intervideo website is $80.

The hard drive space limitation is now basically my only problem. Now that I have the Canopus ADVC100(locked audio), do you think I will no longer have the video and audio synch problems regardless of whatever software capture program I use?

I will not be editing, but I will be doing basic cutting and pasting out commercial breaks. I also own TMPGENC Plus and DVD-Lab.

Thank you again! Todd

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well My only advice would be to Capture to Mpeg2 which doesn"t take up as Much space and winDVR is the best for Mpeg2 capture and I don"t know of any Programs that will do nearly as good of a Job that are cheaper...
    I suppose you could allways get an external USB Hard drive and use it to store your Captured Files because it is best if you capture to DV AVI band then encode it to mpeg because the quality will be much better...Good luck

5. tdfuller

tdfuller Member

MINION: Thanks again. I bought WinDVR 3.0 this morning. I like it the best for my PC setup based on all of the software I tested.

I am having one problem. When I am trying to capture 3 hours and 5 minutes of footage from an old VHS tape, it stops after about 2 hours 20 minutes with all of my hard drive space gone. This should not have happened.

I setup a customized template under "Record." I set it for MPEG-2 DVD, MPEG 1_layer 2 audio at 48Khz, and dropped the frame rate capture to 4000kb/second. This is plenty for this video, after all the video was recorded on Super Long Play(6 hours) and it is old. So, the video is not great. When I set up this custom template it says I have 905 minutes of total record time, but in actuality only gave me the 2 hours 20 mins (140 minutes of record time).

However, when I actually record, one real time second, actually deducts about 7 seconds remaining, off of the clock. What am I doing wrong?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Make sure you have set the Max File size in your Profile to More than 4000mb because if you don"t change it your capture will be broken up into 4gb pieces which just happens to be about 2 hours and 20 minutes at 4000kbs and After you create a Custom profile you also have to choose that profile, so make sure that your custom profile is actually the Profile that you are useing to capture with...
    If you are trying to capture a 3hour movie and put it on a Single DVD you are going to have to use a Lower bitrate than that, You will need to use a Bitrate of about 3000kbs with a Audio bitrate of 192kbs and useing the Standard DVD Resolution that bitrate will not produce acceptable Quality so I advise that you use a Different DVD resolution so you can get better quality with the Bitrate you have to use...
    You should try useing the 352+480 NTSC 352+576 Pal resolution when captureing Long movies because this will allocate more bitrate to a smaller Frame size produceing Better Image Quality and it is 100% DVD Compliant......
    As for your Problem with the Disk space not being read properly it is Probably just a Bug in the software as Long as you know how much space is there...Cheers