1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video bitrate problem

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by phuquit, Dec 23, 2004.

1. phuquit

phuquit Member

Using the AVI to DVD guide elswhere on this site, I have come up against something of a problem. In the section where it talks of adjusting the video bitrate until the disk capasity indicator is down to 95 to 97% and all the red line has gone, i can't get it down any lower that 2000 kbit/sec, which still leaves me with a disk capasity of 112.82% and a sizeable lump of red line left. any ideas on how to get past this obstical?

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

it could be that the video is just too long...

or you have vbr audio which confuses tmpgenc.
    1)demux
    2)don't rewrite header
    3)decode to wav

3. phuquit

phuquit Member

Don't think so. It's one hour and twenty eight minutes. I've burned a longer one using the same method.

4. phuquit

phuquit Member

Sorry, only saw the top line just noticed the other suggestions below it.
    The audio is MP3, can't see anything in AVIcodec to suggest VBR.
    I don't know what you mean by Demux. Nor do I know what you mean by don't rewrite header, which suggest I didn't rewrite it ie. I don't know how to do it so it is unlikely that I tried to. I will try the decode to WAV idea and get back to you.

5. phuquit

phuquit Member

Failed there. Can't figure out how to extract the audio with TMPGEnc, so I tried using the programe I usually use for that - Power Video Converter. Got an error messages trying to extract it to WAV and when I tried to extract it to MP3 with the intention of converting to WAV with a different programe later, I got the same. Something about cannot read memory.

Something that may be relevent is that the movie in question will not play in Windows Media Player like all the other AVI's I have, but it plays perfectly with DivX player.

BTW, I have now found out what demux means and realise that the 3 suggestions you posted was only one after all. I'm not a newbie but sometimes I really feel like I am. Thanks for the help.

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

yes those are steps.
    try virtualdubmod to demux it

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Probably you had AC3 audio in that AVI...extract the WAV then try to convert it with BeSweet to 'MP2 for SVCD' ad explained in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 .
    BTW, TMPGenc's wizard says "about 50' of SVCD movie fit into a CD". Don't you agree?

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Ah, probably the audio must be set on 'direct stream copy' (you cannot process it before converting, sorry,