1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video capture via usb drops frames

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by jetlag05, Jan 5, 2005.

1. jetlag05

jetlag05 Member

Folks,
    Got a new camcorder (jvc) and I'm trying to transfer video to the hard disk via USB.
    - First of all the Image Mixer 1.7 that comes with it supports only Mpeg1 format with 320x240 resolution (when using the usb input port). Avi format available only for DV port, it appears)
    - I've tried both Nero Vision Express and VirtualDub for capturing (via USB) but both show about 20% dropped frames (at 15fps) and even higher drop when forced at 25fps. That made me think there is a problem with the data rate that the usb is delivering.

Before I go out and buy a Firewire board, do you think the dropped frames symptom is definitely related to usage of USB?

The JVC model is a GR-D53, and I think it has an USB1.1 port (I have usb2 on my pc), however I can't find the specs in the booklet (jvc marketing dept decided to hide that info...)

Many thanks,
    /jet

2. crmarks

crmarks Member

I'm not that experienced in video capture/transfer, as I've just only gone out and bought my self a digital camcorder, but what I do know that USB is limited to 10Mbps, where as firewire comes in 3 different standards, which are 100Mbps, 200Mbps, and 400Mbps (S100, S200, and S400 standards).

Hope this helps - I myself am just about to go out and get my self a 4-4 pin 1394 cable now, as I've noticed frames being dropped when I capture video - but not when directly recording (just using Windows Movie Maker).

Plus I just read some other post about you really needing firewire to capture/dub/etc effectively.

Regards,

Chris