1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Capturing Question

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by SuperGood, Feb 1, 2002.

1. SuperGood

SuperGood Member

Hi,

I have just bought an ATI TV Wonder PCI TV Tuner card, and I want to begin capturing video. I want to capture TV episodes from my cable service. I am in the USA, so I am capturing NTSC. I have the latest version of Virtual Dub and of the PIC Video MJPEG codec and Hufy 2.1.1 Codec. I want to know the best settings to use to capture a TV show. This is my overall goal. I want to first capture the TV show, and then using Virtual Dub, re-encode the file into DIVX Low Motion format, producing about a 200-230MB file for a 1 hour TV episode, (about 43 mins., with out commercials). If there is anyone who can give me pointers on how to do this. I would like to know, which codec should I use to capture MJPEG or Hufy (so far it seems I have better results with MJPEG), and what settings, RGB, YUV, quality, etc.? Also, there is one other concern that I have. I have been trying to capture, and the capture has a lot of video noise in it. I would like to know what to do that would help remove it. I have tried using the noise reduction option in virtual dub's capture mode. This does help a bit, but I want to know what threshold I should try to capture it at. And secondly, after it is captured, what filters, in what order, and at what settings might I use them in Virtual Dub, when converting to DIVX, so that I might get rid of the noise and make the picture look better. Also, what bitrate should I convert into DIVX Low Motion, to get the file size I wanted above. Just a note, I have a 850MHz, 256MB RAM, 60GB 7200RPM HD system. So far, whenever I have captured at all different settings, I have not droped many frames at all. About 15 frames in 30 mins of capturing of video/audio. That is suppose to be very good. However, I do seem to have a problem, because this is in 320x240 video mode. For some reason, this is the maximum setting I can use to capture. If I ever set it at any other resolution under video, format, when I hit OK, it says "Error 418: Unsupported video format". The choice for 640x480, IS in the drop down box, and I have tried it with all the various pixel settings, i.e. RGB, YUY2, etc. In virtualdub, it says I am using Microsoft WDM image capturing. This is the only drivers I have installed. There weren't any others that came with card. I went to ATI's website and d/l the latest drivers, and installed them, but still only max at 320x240. Well, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. chanlung

chanlung Member

I am having the same problem. Have you found a solution yet? Let me know at chanlung@hotmail.com

Thanx

3. KoolG

KoolG Member

contact me at disposed@optonline.net, i will be glad to help you achieve excellent video processing results and cap with any resolution you'd like. I am a music video ripper for high quality channel #Krazyvideoz on efnet. I use same exact card. Not ati mmc soft tho. Pz. www.krazyvideoz.com

Last edited: Jun 23, 2002