1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video card overheating?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by braunerf1, Aug 30, 2007.

1. braunerf1

braunerf1 Member

hi guys. I recently installed a PNY nvidia geforce 8600gts. PCI xpress. 675MHz clock speed. 1500Mhz RAM speed. I am wondering if it is overheating because almost everytime I play a game about 2 min in it freezes. I took the side of my case off and it stopped doing it so I kind of have a feeling it is overheating. I have 2 80mm fans. one intake. and one outtake. If you think i have a faulty heatsink im going back to bestbuy and trading it in for an ati. What is a good ATI model that is roughtly similar to this card?

Thanks.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i would stick with that card it is good. download ati tool and install it. in the settings you can make it record your tempretures. then run your games and after it freezes check the log.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

3. braunerf1

braunerf1 Member

the ati tool wont read the temps. i think i am going to try an ati card cause it shouldnt be overheating.

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Try RivaTuner, it works fine with every card.

I would stick with nvidia (even know I got a ATi card). The ATi drivers are a pain to install and its a guessing game as to which drivers will work.

You could possibly try a aftermarket cooler? Also, only 2 case fans isnt really enough. I have 5, all 80mm, running at 2500rpm and I can keep my case at 86F on load. I still consider that to be fairly hot.

5. braunerf1

braunerf1 Member

i only have one fan slot left on my case, and that is the one that blows directly onto the cpu...would it really make a dif if i put another one there??

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You have other static vents right? If you do then putting an exhaust fan there you definitely help.

7. braunerf1

braunerf1 Member

i traded the 8600gts in for an ati radeon x1950pro..works much better and most of all it doesnt overheat! :)..thanks for ur help anyways