1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video cards

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by whiskey99, Mar 16, 2013.

1. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I have a problem with my current video card it is a GS7300 NVIDIA.
    Last nite while watching a show the original screen started to flicker,i pulled the gs 7300 out and hooked PC up a 17" monitor and PC worked without flickering then i put the gs7300 back in and all i got was a black screen,took out gs7300 hooked back up to 17" and
    have not had any problems since.
    So can i assume my gs7300 is toast,thanks

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

It sure looks like it man.I think that was a good assumption to make in my opinion.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what was the videocard hooked up before as i presume not the 17" monitor?

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Probably had it hooked up to his TV!

5. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I bought some cabling from MYCABLEMART to hookup to 32" panasonic hdtv by way of DVI TO HDMI.
    Checked drivers and they were up to date,like i said everything as far as the tv stations worked with no flicker.
    There is a video card from TIGERDIRECT THAT they say should work in this part # is as follows (GALAXY 61TGS4HX2LTXGeforce gt610gc)the PSU is supposed to be 305watts.
    But i checked on the rebate it can be paid by of a debt. card this seems to me a stupid way to buy anything,so do you have recommendation that would be a good and cheap match for this DELL 521,WINXP,SPS,2GB RAM, AS i would like to replace it sometime in the future.
    I have another DELL521 THAT this will go into right now that we stream NETFLIX to,thanks

6. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I am back took a closer look at the side that has the cooling fan on it all the little
    towers on them i believe they may be resistors and one of them is split open and the top is raised this may not mean much but here are the #'s(fz68 1000 16v)this may be my problem.

7. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

That is what they call an electrolytic capacitor 1000 Microfarads at 16 volts DC and will cause the problem that you were talking about.

8. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

thank you,i did not see the split and raised area until i compared it to the other ones.
    Now i will have to look for a video card that will work with my PSU.
    Considering the age of this PC i do not want to put a real costly card in but something a
    better then the gs7300 that went bad,the tv that is old and does not have HDMI but it will help with the next HDTV,THANKS

9. ddp

you can replace that capacitor as had to do that with 1 of my videocards. had to eventually replace 5 caps on that card even tho was still working alright.

10. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,I looked at the back side and it looks like it is not easy to do,almost like brain surgery i looked at where there was like two points coming thru and a drop of solder in between them do you just heat up that one point of solder and it will come right off.
    It would be cheaper but if fix goes go bad will it just take the video card itself only.
    Or would this be time just by a better card.thanks

11. ddp

is up to you which way you want to go as in fixing card or get new card. are you any good with a soldering iron?

12. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,I was looking at what appears to be a drop of solder that holds the capacitor in
    place,i suppose i could get that capacitor at RADIO SHACK will look in to it.
    I have a what i believe is called a cold soldering iron,but the tip is too big.

13. ddp

if a thru hole capacitor then there should be 2 solid wires sticking out of bottom of card thru the solder. if surface mounted then should be 2 solder pads, 1 on each side of capacitor on topside of board. most likely is thru hole capacitor. need electronic\electrical solder not plumbing solder.

14. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,I checked on capacitor about$4.00,soldering tool about $20.00,so for about the same price i can get a better video card then the that went bad and i may try to fix later,thanks

15. ddp

no problem & radio shack is expensive for parts. that caps is most likely less then a dollar.

16. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,I pulled the capacitor off card and was left with (2) blades sticking up from the card i have never taken one of these apart before so not sure what i needed to see will go to radio shack but i do not think i can get so lucky and be able to just push a new
    capacitor back.
    My PC still crashes looking for Nvidia 6150 driver updates,i think that maybe why it is crashing,thanks

17. ddp

18. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp, I pulled it off with brute force it left two pins sticking up did not appear to disturb solder went to RADIO SHACK to see if they had one no luck.
    I went to the XP 32 BIT download site you gave me now we will see if PC crashes anymore
    still getting the back ground sound hard to explain how it sounds,but nothing shows up on screen.
    I still think it would be better to just get a newer PC,if i go with kit i could get it for about half the assembled price ,this is the one that i saw on several sites for about
    $975.00 (cybertron fx 4170 assassin)thanks

19. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

You may want to try another Radio Shack to see if you can find one.I was looking for the same one that you are and had try more than one before I found one.Sometimes they will be out of stock at the store you go to.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  20. aldan

aldan Active member

if they dont stock it they can order it.