1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video editing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rfcomm2k, Sep 17, 2004.

1. rfcomm2k

rfcomm2k Member

I have a couple of DVD's I burned from home videos. I wish to edit some of the video down but do not want to spend any money buying software. So far all I have is Microsoft's Movie Maker which may as well not be there because it only extracts up to 99 seconds of the video from the DVD.

Is there freeware out there that can do simple cut and delete editing on .vob files?

Also, on the DVD there are several other files. I burned 2 sessions on the DVD, but each session consists of 2 .vob files. Why, and what are the other files for?

2. kamaswami

kamaswami Member

check out virtualdub. its freeware, i'm sure someone out there has written a plugin that does vob stuff. if not you can just rename the vob files to mpeg or mpg cause vobs are just mpeg2 encoded mpgs.

so yeah i'd suggest virtualdub and them maybe tmpegenc to re-encode the mpeg2 files if necessary.

there's guides to doing all sorts of crazy stuff with this on this website: http://www.doom9.org

also... now that i think of it, tmpegenc has this functionality built into it called mpeg tools. if all you're doing is cutting and merging different mpegs, this might be your best bet. and if you get the tmpegenc plus version i think it can do mpeg2 (vob).

i know this post is kinda confusing but i'm sure you can go do some research on these things now. doom9.org is probably a good place to start