1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video fast forward problems.

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by supradaa, May 2, 2004.

1. supradaa

supradaa Member

Hi GUYS!

This is my first post. GREAT FORUM! Glad my friend told me about the place. Anyways, I'm having a problem with some video files I downloaded. I mean they work fine, its just the videos can't be fast forwarded. I have used both winamp and windows media player, none of them can fast forward these videos. Is there anything I can do? Thanks for the help! Great Forum!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

3. supradaa

supradaa Member

Thanks alot for the help! That place you sent me too will come in handy. LOL! The problem is these files are .asf and not .avi. So Virtual Dub won't work. Could you tell me if it's possible with .asf files. Thanks a lot. GREAT FORUM!

4. Praetor

Thanks! (that's me very own website)

No problem. Grab a copy of VirtualDub 1.3c and convert it to AVI ('sides ASF is outdated anyways). Once it's an AVI you shouldnt have to do the rekeying thing but if you still have to, now you know how to! :)

5. supradaa

supradaa Member

LOL! OMG! That's so funny! LOL! I didn't know that website was actually yours! Anyways, once again, thank you so much for the help. I couldn't have done this without you. Thanks again!

6. supradaa

supradaa Member

WOW I am seriously having a string of problems. LOL! I got another problem now. I can't seem to open the file, when I try to a window comes up and says" THE ASF FILE IS 650953262 BYTES LONG, BUT WAS ORIGINALLY 695945552 BYTES WHEN ENCODED. IT MAY HAVE BEEN TRUNCATED OR CORRUPTED. OPEN FILE ANYWAY?" When I hit YES, this window pops up, "ASF: DATA CHUNK NOT FOUND". Do I still have any hope or am I screwed? LOL! Thanks again for the help!

7. Praetor

When opening the file with VDub1.3c via File-->Open, check the "Pop up Extendeed Info" and check "Accept Partial Streams on Error" -- it might not help your problem but then again it might

In either case, comparing the filesizes, i dont think you would be MISSING something (then again ASF was wierd so i cant guarantee that). You may want to try to open the file with AVICodec to compare the length of the clip with what you expect it to be.

8. supradaa

supradaa Member

Damn man, oh well. I did what you told me and the same messages came up. You're right, asf is overated! LOL! I guess thats all my options huh? Well in any case, Thanks ALOT for the help, couldn't have gotten this far without you. Thanks for directing me to ur site. Its gonna come in handy in the future. Damn asf! LOL!

9. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You don't need to convert ASF files to make them seekable when playing.

They just need to be indexed. There are several free tools for indexing ASF files. It is possible that your ASF files might need some repair also and that could be causing your conversion problems. But you don't need to convert them unless it is for some other reason than being able to seek when playing.
    http://p084.ezboard.com/fstreemeboxvcrfrm7.showMessage?topicID=34.topic

10. supradaa

supradaa Member

Hey, Thanks ALOT for the reply! I'm sorry if this sounds real dumb, but I'm not exactly sure what "seekable" and "indexing" means. I went to the site you told me about. GOOD SITE TOO! I downloaded ASFTOOLS but unfortunately its not really helping. Let me tell you what I've done so far. When I open ASFTOOLS and then drag the file in and click the "Make Seekable" button, it says "File is already Seekable, do you want to make it Live?" When I click YES it says "Flags set to Live". But when I play the file the same problem exists. So, I'm not exactly sure what else to do. THNX FOR THE POST!!!!

11. Veblin

Veblin Active member

The file you have is already seekable. Seekable means that if you play it in the 6.4 version of Windows Media Player (mplayer2.exe) you can use the seek bar.
    Most people don't use the 6.4 version anymore so just having or making a file seekable is not of much use. You do not want to set the file as live.

If you want to have a file that you can use the seek bar in all versions of Windows Media player and other players, the file needs to be indexed.

These free programs will index ASF,WMV, WMA files.

ASFTools can index. The cut function will index a file but you must set it to remove one second at the beginning or end of the file. You may have to use one of the repair options such as Lost Chunks, Basic or Avanced Repair before a file can be cut and indexed. If the cut file indexing does not work you may have to use one of the other indexers listed below. The repair options in this program may need to be used sometimes, for these other indexing programs to work properly on a particular file.
    http://www.geocities.com/myasftools/

ASFIndexGui will index Windows Media files and will often get a better result.
    http://guiguy.wminds.com/downloads/asfindexgui/

Windows XP and 2000 users can also index a file with Windows Media File Editor included in
    Windows Media Encoder Series 9.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp

These shareware programs will also index.
    http://www.video-fixer.com/
    http://www.fixvideo.com/
    http://www.repairvideo.com/

12. supradaa

supradaa Member

Hey thanks alot! I will try out the things you've said and see how things go. Hope it works! Thanks alot!